Sloppy steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
97 k1500. Ive changed all the front suspension parts excluding the center link and the hubs on both sides and did the flaming river u joint on my shaft plus tightened my new gear box up. I have play in my wheel I can’t get rid of. Yes my keys are cranked a little to fit my 33s but not bad and tires aren’t too heavy. Just to keep my truck straight I have to constantly turn the wheel from left to right and feels like I’m driving in a cartoon. There’s got to be a way to improve this steering and stiffen it up it just doesn’t feel safe. Any ideas?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My guess is gear box. I know you said you tightened up your new gear box. Is it new or new to you? Ive read and have first hand experience that some reman boxes are junk out of the box.

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My guess is gear box. I know you said you tightened up your new gear box. Is it new or new to you? Ive read and have first hand experience that some reman boxes are junk out of the box.
It’s new not oe got it from oreillys last summer. Wish I could post a video of how the steering wheel moves

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get under the truck and have someone move the wheel back and forth and look for slop
Saw slop below the gear box before but I just changed the pitman. I wouldn’t think the play I have would be caused by the box or pitman. I have a video I’ll have to upload

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No mention of an alignment being done. ???? If not in specs you'll fight it the whole way. As said,you can't assume the re-man o'reily box is any good and it's hard to get steering rack performance from a steering box. Does everything include control arm bushings and ball joints or just steering components?

If you cranked it to get 33's on that's enough, about 2 inches, to introduce some additional bumpsteer and wander that's going to need more correction as you go down the road.

Last edited: