Sloppy steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That video shows me that clearly there is some slop somewhere between the steering wheel and the road. Now you have to figure out where exactly that slop is introduced. So get under the truck and have someone wiggle the wheel like i said before.

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That video shows me that clearly there is some slop somewhere between the steering wheel and the road. Now you have to figure out where exactly that slop is introduced. So get under the truck and have someone wiggle the wheel like i said before.
I see play by the pitman but I just changed it last summer. It moves around where it connects in the drag link

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s new not oe got it from oreillys last summer. Wish I could post a video of how the steering wheel moves

Your video looks more like bump steer and the truck is also wanting to follow the crown of the road "down" towards the shoulder (an alignment may be in order). When I replaced all my steering--from control arm bushings to hub bearing assemblies, with a 6 month old Oreilly steering gear, it didn't help the steering as much as it should have, and this truck has been in the family since new--so I have a reference point to work from. Upper Moog ball joints began dying at the 10k mark and I installed Proforged uppers. By 20k the lower Moogs were dead. Installing MevoTech TX's lower BJ's helped the steering more than anything else. I am very tempted to pull the Proforged uppers and replace them with MevoTech TX's too.

Since then I have installed ANOTHER Oreillys steering gear (replaced under warranty) and the third time this one actually steers pretty good. The previous two Oreilly gears became loose by 10k, and didn't steer very well from the get-go.

BBB/Vision makes a brand new steering gear (not reman), and I have heard good things about it. I have one sitting in the shop because I expected the OReilly gear to die by now.......

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your video looks more like bump steer and the truck is also wanting to follow the crown of the road "down" towards the shoulder (an alignment may be in order). When I replaced all my steering--from control arm bushings to hub bearing assemblies, with a 6 month old Oreilly steering gear, it didn't help the steering as much as it should have, and this truck has been in the family since new--so I have a reference point to work from. Upper Moog ball joints began dying at the 10k mark and I installed Proforged uppers. By 20k the lower Moogs were dead. Installing MevoTech TX's lower BJ's helped the steering more than anything else. I am very tempted to pull the Proforged uppers and replace them with MevoTech TX's too.

Since then I have installed ANOTHER Oreillys steering gear (replaced under warranty) and the third time this one actually steers pretty good. The previous two Oreilly gears became loose by 10k, and didn't steer very well from the get-go.

BBB/Vision makes a brand new steering gear (not reman), and I have heard good things about it. I have one sitting in the shop because I expected the OReilly gear to die by now.......
What is bump steer?

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is bump steer?

The vehicle doesn't continue straight when you pass over bumps or wants to "follow" the ruts in the pavement. Instead you have to constantly correct the steering. The heavier the steering (up to a reasonable point) the less bump steer. When my 96 was new it's steering was noticeably heavier (and overall better steering) than my 91 light K2500 that I had bought with 10k on it.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is bump steer?

As the suspension cycles up and down through it's travel there is a certain amount of toe in or toe out that takes place. This is called bumpsteer. Suspensions are designed for minimal bumpsteer in the at rest stock ride height positions. When you raise or lower a vehicle you change the angles at which the suspension was designed to work. This makes it necessary to reset the static toe setting but even when you do the suspension is still working outside it's design parameters/angles with additional bumpsteer. Too much bumpsteer can make for one ill handling scary to drive vehicle when you hit a bump and it wants to change lanes. There's much more to a suspension being correct then to get correct static toe, caster, and camber settings.

Last edited:

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As the suspension cycles up and down through it's travel there is a certain amount of toe in or toe out that takes place. This is called bumpsteer. Suspensions are designed for minimal bumpsteer in the at rest stock ride height positions. When you raise or lower a vehicle you change the angles at which the suspension was designed to work. This makes it necessary to reset the static toe setting but even when you do the suspension is still working outside it's design parameters/angles with additional bumpsteer. Too much bumpsteer can make for one ill handling scary to drive vehicle when you hit a bump and it wants to change lanes. There's much more to a suspension being correct then to get correct static toe, caster, and camber settings.

All that too.....!

Sometimes I forget so many of these trucks are lifted these days........o_O

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All that too.....!

Sometimes I forget so many of these trucks are lifted these days........o_O

Bumpsteer is not to be confused with the jaw snapping, spinal compression inducing, coffee cup launching in the lap jerking the steering wheel bump you get as the result of excessive preload from cranking.. lol