Sigh, it never stops... cracked radiator tank.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
So I was under the hood checking the torque on my valve covers because they keep leaking. I haven't gotten around to doing the gaskets yet. I noticed some water under the upper radiator hose. I get the flash light out and see where it ends. I wiggled the hose and fitting and see movement, so it's cracked.

This Delphi radiator was purchased in 2010, almost 9 years ago. It replaced the original, which would have been 11 years old, but it had the tank replaced a few years prior. So it looks like about 9 years is the life span of the driver's side tank.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So I was under the hood checking the torque on my valve covers because they keep leaking. I haven't gotten around to doing the gaskets yet. I noticed some water under the upper radiator hose. I get the flash light out and see where it ends. I wiggled the hose and fitting and see movement, so it's cracked.

This Delphi radiator was purchased in 2010, almost 9 years ago. It replaced the original, which would have been 11 years old, but it had the tank replaced a few years prior. So it looks like about 9 years is the life span of the driver's side tank.

I bought my 1500 ini2009 with that stupid ass leak stopper in it. Years later after I'd purged the coolant the leak showed its face, I ignored it for a while then had the tank replaced around 2013. Still running that radiator, unknown if it's original or replacement.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
When I replaced my original radiator, the replaced tank still seemed to be holding, but the oil cooler started leaking oil into the coolant after a few years.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Gotta love MI. Only place I've seen plastic rust. Its corrosive nature knows no bounds.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I know my 350 has a bracket that supports the upper hose, bolts to the AC bracket. I can't recall how my 454 is set up off hand. You may be on to something.

T-Bone

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to fix mine with some JB weld. Put a nice think kote on the tank where the split was.. lasted about a day..

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I know my 350 has a bracket that supports the upper hose, bolts to the AC bracket. I can't recall how my 454 is set up off hand. You may be on to something.

I have the bracket but I think there is a gap between it and the hose. I'll have to check if there's some adjustment.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I tried to fix mine with some JB weld. Put a nice think kote on the tank where the split was.. lasted about a day..

Thanks for the warning. Jb Weld was one of my thoughts on fixing it, at least temporarily.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Pressure sucks.. I'm really starting to consider using Evan's coolant or something similar. It's the stuff which doesn't expand when heated and supposedly you end up with fewer leaks and longer life from cooling system components as a result. It also never needs to be changed again according to the sales stuff.