Serpentine belt thrown twice on a 1988 C1500 5.7 350 Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the other bolts to the accessory bracket were way loose, so we covered them in lock tight
This raises alarm bells in my head, and I hope you're exaggerating. As Fred Flinstone says, "a little dab'll do ya". If you covered them in loctite, you'll probably need an impact to ever get them out again. I typically use two or three drops per bolt. The goal with loctite is not to make the bolt tighter, but to provide a higher initial breaking torque for taking the bolt back out. Once you break the loctite you want the bolt to come out smoothly, and more loctite is going to gum up the threads in addition to making a high breaking torque that raises the likelihood of snapping a bolt off.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You removed parts and brackets for access, then did not replace, install the parts you removed?
Uh, what did you think would happen?
Loose hardware, missing support brackets, and you did a cam swap? Really or are you just joking us? :3811797817_8d685371

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You removed parts and brackets for access, then did not replace, install the parts you removed?
Uh, what did you think would happen?
Loose hardware, missing support brackets, and you did a cam swap? Really or are you just joking us? :3811797817_8d685371
Haha, beginners idiocy I guess! I replaced 1/3 “brackets” the other two are support arms connecting the accessory bracket to the intake manifold, I cut them out because I psychically could not get the intake manifold out with them there, and since they are welded onto the AC compressor and tensioner bracket I didn’t see any other option when I was trying to get a cam swap done in a timely manner.

I did however replace the alternator support bracket so I’m hoping that does something, when I replace the AC compressor it won’t even have a support brace welded on so it can’t be that critical

To be honest I think the vibration was caused from a heavily misfiring engine when I drive my truck around with the valve lash too tight for a couple weeks, the whole thing shook like a washing machine

Everything runs smooth now

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't link them most likely discontinued. Be a junkyard grab.

And I wouldn't know part #s just have years of experience with these trucks.

You'd almost be better off getting the aluminum brackets from a later TBI engine