serpentine belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Will check everything.

I know for a fact with the connector off it does still make the noise. Will take belt off and check pulley among other things.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also to be noted, it sounds totally fine when the compressor clutch kicks on. No noise at all. It's only when the clutch is off and the pulley is spinning.

Is there a separate bearing for the clutch and for the pulley?

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The pulley is probably the culprit. Here's a video with the belt off spinning it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

And here is a video of the noise when it's running. This was after the compressor was running having the AC on for a minute. There was actually enough refrigerant in the system to make the air cool and not just hot air lol.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd slap a new bearing on it, and keep the A/C.

Audio in the two videos posted is crap--I can hear you but not the pulley bearing. Does seem to spin too freely--as if the bearing has no lube and no seal-drag.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd slap a new bearing on it, and keep the A/C.

Audio in the two videos posted is crap--I can hear you but not the pulley bearing. Does seem to spin too freely--as if the bearing has no lube and no seal-drag.
Yeah I'm going to charge the system so I have AC, and replace the bearing ASAP.

Yeah I think I had my phone a little too close to the pulley to hear it well lol. It spins like a normal pulley should. Not too freely, spins for a a split second and then stops, but it just sounds and feels metallic and gritty when spinning it.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to charge the system so I have AC, and replace the bearing ASAP.

You can but, it's not so easy. The bearing is peened in place, at least the ones I've worked on were. YMMV
You must be registered for see images attach

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can but, it's not so easy. The bearing is peened in place, at least the ones I've worked on were. YMMV
You must be registered for see images attach
I may be able to find a whole new pulley with a bearing already pressed in possibly.