7.4L with Sanden - belt length

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockR67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I couldn’t find this in the archives, so … anyone have a good guess on the new belt length needed for a Sanden Compressor? The engine is the 7.4. no air pump.

Sanden makes some recommendations but only for the 5.7L engines. It looks like about an inch extra from what they say … any better ideas for the 7.4 before I guess and check and then report back?

thanks!

rockR67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the report back for the archives:

7.4L with no air pump (apparently 124A or 140A alternators are both about equivalent for belt length, no distinguishing feature there):

- need to add about an inch (25mm) to the original belt, in line with what Sanden recommends for the 5.7L engines
- Here's a good option to ask for at the parts desk:
-- p/n 6pk2580
-- and you can find this on a 1998 CHEVROLET EXPRESS 2500, 6.5L Turbo Diesel with: Air Conditioning, Alternator (single 124A), Power Steering and Water Pump; OE: 12555011

Thanks to Rock Auto for supplying the cross-reference vehicle for this belt.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

cjcb1100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My sbc had a 955k6 oem now its a 985k6 not that that may help on a bbc but you may have to buy a few mark your tensioner with the stock belt try and put it in the same spot parts store will return belts if not run