Where to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimbuck49

Reaction score
I ahve a 91 GMC 1500 that has a 82 350 swapped in. The previous folks have it wired and it will run (runs terrible) with a normal water pump and alternator (both v-belt).

The current alternator (not 1 wire is not connected to anything. I was going to put a one wire alternator in and run it to the distribution block on the firewall. Then take a wire and run to the battery. Is this correct?

There is a bundle of wires by the wiper motor that have been cut and stripped, for what reason I have no idea. I will see if I can identify each one and see what might be needed.

The blinkers allw ork, but no head or tail lights.

Emergency flashers work.

No interior lights or radio.

I don't think any of the gauges work since the oil pressure and temp sender have any wires connected.

They cut the fuel line back by the tank, wonder if that is where th fuel pump was.

This list is where I will start. Anyone have any info or recommendations (other than junking the truck)?

There is very little rust so at least it is a good start.

Is it better to go back to the serpentie belt or just stay with the v-belt? It will need an air conditioner compressor and not sure about a power sterring pump.

Thanks for any and all comments

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you downloaded your wiring manual? They're pretty great. Sounds like you have a decent grasp already.

Jimbuck49

Reaction score
Have you downloaded your wiring manual? They're pretty great. Sounds like you have a decent grasp already.
Yes I have the 91 manual. Will be a combination of old and new. Looking for the best alternator right now, not one of the high dollar ones.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Figure out what you want for a belt-drive system BEFORE you blow money on an alternator having the wrong pulley. A genuine "one wire" alternator sucks; they don't have remote voltage sensing, they don't operate the "GENERATOR" warning light on the dash, and they take excessive RPM to begin charging. The original alternator would have that same one wire (alternator output cable) plus a small-gauge wire connected through a molded-plastic four-place connector with three places unused.

Same with the water pump. A V-belt system turns the water pump one direction, an OEM serpentine belt generally drive the water pump pulley from the smooth side (not the ribbed side) of the belt; so the water pump AND FAN turn backwards from the older V-belt system.

You need to figure out what parts of the engine are 1982, and what parts are 1991. Kinda guessing this is a carburetor/4-pin HEI butcher job.

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well sir you have a project it sounds like. I'm not sure if congratulations or God be with you are in order.