cold start/ hard start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

verntow1

Reaction score
I have a 1996 3500 with vortec 454. I have done some work to the truck and have been driving it now for a while. If I start it up every day there is no problem with it starting. If I let the truck sit for 3 or 4 days or more it is VERY hard to start with a lot of cranking and poor running and backfiring before it will finally start running smoothly. If I did not know any better, I would say the fuel is leaking back into the tank and needs some kind of backflow valve to prevent the fuel from draining away from the fuel injection system?? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the problem and the cure to this problem??? Thanks for any help.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Test fuel system pressure before starting (key on) when it has been sitting 3 or 4 days. The fuel pump should have the system up to pressure very quickly, if not check your ground wire connection.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Test fuel system pressure before starting (key on) when it has been sitting 3 or 4 days. The fuel pump should have the system up to pressure very quickly, if not check your ground wire connection.
I agree, check all connections! Also the fuel pressure check can reveal if the pump itself is bad. If it's never been replaced, on a '96, that's definitely a possibility.