Belt Squeak is driving me crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97-2door

Reaction score
I recently replaced my power steering pump. When reinstalling the pulley, I aligned it flush as per the GM manual. I guess the shaft on the new pump must have been slightly different as the pulley was too close to the engine and out of plane with the other pulleys. Had to pull it back off slightly to get everything to line up and eliminate the belt chirping.

Anchor

Reaction score
This is a real reach but my 1990 K1500 started a screeching sound right after I installed a new engine a couple of years ago. I assumed it was a belt. Changed serpentine- no change. Got out stethoscope- no help. It only did it at highway speeds under acceleration. Finally figured out it was a failed catalytic converter and the screech was from a leak in the exhaust ahead of the converter because of backpressure. Sounded all to hell like a belt or pulley. Every time I think I have a clue, bohica.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Strange but true. Was at one of the shops I worked in and customer had his 1992 Ford F150 5.0 in for an intermittent squeak noise. We searched and searched and with mechanic's stethoscope narrowed it down to inside the bell housing. Still could not pinpoint. Plus the noise would come and go. One of the tech's took a wag and came up with the rear main seal. Sure enough it was the rear main seal. No leaks, just the noise. Never saw or heard that before or after that again.