Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Uuuuh they look cool so that’s what really matters.
Back when I was still doing 9C1 Caprices, I had a cousin that was into the Impala SS scene. Surely the SS is way bigger on the cool scale than a beat old cop car, but after having owned both, I found the Caprice actually handles better.

Back to my point, my cousin was bragging to me one day that he got the "green hoses" - I had to laugh and tell him my car came with them from GM. :)

He was full of great advice though, like I should paint my brake calipers red so they look like I got the good stuff. I passed on that..

Richard

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Back when I was still doing 9C1 Caprices, I had a cousin that was into the Impala SS scene. Surely the SS is way bigger on the cool scale than a beat old cop car, but after having owned both, I found the Caprice actually handles better.

Back to my point, my cousin was bragging to me one day that he got the "green hoses" - I had to laugh and tell him my car came with them from GM. :)

He was full of great advice though, like I should paint my brake calipers red so they look like I got the good stuff. I passed on that..

Richard

Have you seen the price of 9c1 cars lately?!?! I couldn’t afford one if i wanted to.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Have you seen the price of 9c1 cars lately?!?! I couldn’t afford one if i wanted to.
Nope.. last one I bought was a '96 back in.. late 2010? It was a little bit ragged but ran and drove great; I think I paid less than $2500 for it. Those were the days, or something.. I gotta say while I really did enjoy those cars, you can only fix up so many of them before you get the urge for something with more grunt. I could either spend a fortune on modding a Caprice, or look elsewhere, since GM forgot about us after 1996. That's how I ended up getting into Chrysler 300 SRT8's. Those will punk out a Caprice without breaking a sweat.

Looking at this pic makes me miss the '94 C2500LD, and my glass brick windowed warehouse back in FL. Oh well. Crummy times but with a few bright spots.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Nope.. last one I bought was a '96 back in.. late 2010? It was a little bit ragged but ran and drove great; I think I paid less than $2500 for it. Those were the days, or something.. I gotta say while I really did enjoy those cars, you can only fix up so many of them before you get the urge for something with more grunt. I could either spend a fortune on modding a Caprice, or look elsewhere, since GM forgot about us after 1996. That's how I ended up getting into Chrysler 300 SRT8's. Those will punk out a Caprice without breaking a sweat.

Looking at this pic makes me miss the '94 C2500LD, and my glass brick windowed warehouse back in FL. Oh well. Crummy times but with a few bright spots.

Richard
Like the rides, love the building! I have always loved the glass bricks, especially if they're lit from behind or inside. Money no object, I'd live in a Mid Century Moderne/Art Deco house. Was before my time (I'm a late 60s baby) but I've always been into those design styles.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Like the rides, love the building! I have always loved the glass bricks, especially if they're lit from behind or inside. Money no object, I'd live in a Mid Century Moderne/Art Deco house. Was before my time (I'm a late 60s baby) but I've always been into those design styles.
It was a neat spot. Really old building with a few modern things added. Plenty of 8' shop lights got it REALLY bright inside, and it had central AC/heat, although as you could imagine it cost a fortune to cool/heat that large open area. This pic is unfortunately once it was almost completely cleaned out as I was preparing to move back to TX.

It was the one big open space and two small bathrooms that were still the very old ceramic tile, small sink and a toilet. I either had to shower down at the marina, my little brother's house, girlfriend's house, or tough it out in one of my bathrooms. When it was warm no big deal, I kept my head shaved back then so it was easy to just take a sink bath and it didn't matter if the floor got soaking wet from the washcloth dripping everywhere. I'd mop it with a sponge mop and wring that into the toilet then set the fan in the door to dry the floor out. When it got cold, I found myself microwaving 1 liter bottles of tap water to pour on the washcloth because there was no water heater. Not fun. But I kept clean, and survived, LOL..

Wait; what were we talking about? Serpentine belts? :rofl:

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There's definitely parts choices we make based on emotion vs. fact ;) but the price difference in high quality serp belts isn't that much between a regular Gates and the Fleetrunner. I put them on both our 06's a while back. When you say they're made for a different type of machinery, I'm a little puzzled. They're listed by application (including our trucks) and mentioned as heavier duty for fleet service. The kind of stuff we used to see on police package Caprices (remember the green "silicone" hoses!)

"Gates® FleetRunner® Heavy Duty Micro-V® belts are engineered to save your fleet money and lost service time. Patented EPDM construction with distinct green overcord built specifically for more durability, superior flexibility, stability, and longer life on heavy-duty drives. Haul more. Drive longer."

I figure if it lasts a bit longer, it's one less thing I have to worry about. I'd like to pretend I'm good at keeping up with maintenance on everything, but with 4 vehicles plus all the miscellaneous stuff going on around the house constantly fighting for my attention vs. my work and "sleep" schedule there are unfortunately some things that get overlooked until they become a problem.

Richard
Sorry, should have said that you typically see them on trucks and machinery and hardly ever on everyday vehicles.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were worried about serpentine belt life, I'd be verifying the pulleys including pulley alignment, and tensioner before I bought "better" belts than normal, name-brand stuff.

AFTER I'm assured that the pulleys and tensioner are OK...maybe I'd go green. Probably not.

Best things I ever did to improve belt life were 1) never, never, ever use "belt dressing"; and 2) replace the tensioner when it starts jiggling. Tensioners have a damper inside them, when the damper wears-out, the arm jiggles and the belt life drops.