School Me on LS Motors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have near zero experience on LS motors, but I may be getting involved in a project where we will need to build a "serious" horsepower naturally-aspirated LS on a strict budget. The engine will almost certainly not be using a factory ECM.

What do I need to know about the differences in generations? What differences are there in the blocks? What's the best non-forum website for an LS newb to study? What's the best forum for LS engine builds?

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NA power on an LS is stupid easy. It's all about the cam, and there a buttload to choose from.

Obviously, you would want the most displacement your budget allows for. Since it's NA an aluminum block would be a good choice to keep the weight down. I wouldn't worry about the block differences too much to be honest. I know on the OG LS1 they made some revisions in 2002 for the block, but I don't know if those made it to the truck blocks.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do Gen IV parts bolt onto a Gen I block?

We won't be boring or stroking. This will need to be done with junkyard-available parts, and it will need to be rugged. As of right now the thought is a stock bottom end 6.0 iron truck block with 6.2 heads.

Still, I need reference material to study.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do Gen IV parts bolt onto a Gen I block?

We won't be boring or stroking. This will need to be done with junkyard-available parts, and it will need to be rugged. As of right now the thought is a stock bottom end 6.0 iron truck block with 6.2 heads.

Still, I need reference material to study.

If you meant Gen III, yes.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other day my son came over to help tile the kitchen. He showed me some pictures of a 6.2 where the valve spring broke, the valve stem got bent and the valve itself puked out the intake port. He said he's had a few 6.2s come in like this. IDK personally but, he says this is a known issue with their valve train - just saying :33:
You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're not familiar with Sloppy Mechanics, Matt Happel has a lot of good budget oriented LS information. It's mostly forced induction related but there's a bunch of good general info scattered throughout.

Sloppy Wiki:
https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/home

Sloppy Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/@SloppyMechanics

Richard Holdener has also done a bunch of awesome testing with the LS platform. If you check the "Playlists" tab on his Youtube channel he has an entire playlist called "LS NA Mods" with over 200 videos.

Richard Holdener Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/@richardholdener1727

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other day my son came over to help tile the kitchen. He showed me some pictures of a 6.2 where the valve spring broke, the valve stem got bent and the valve itself puked out the intake port. He said he's had a few 6.2s come in like this. IDK personally but, he says this is a known issue with their valve train - just saying :33:

Bad batch of valve springs. It happens sometimes. I remember it happening a lot on the LT1 in the C7.

He'd be running aftermarket springs anyways.