Scanner or computer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack the Snap-On mt 2500 thread so started this one.

Reading the above mentioned thread got me to thinking. If you already have a laptop would it be "better" to just load up some software (some is free) or go ahead and purchase a dedicated scanner? I know you would need to purchase or build your own cable for the computer.

Ken

EDIT: For myself (1990 C1500) I need to be OBD1 compliant.

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I keep a cheap innova in my center console of my burb and an elm32 bluetooth dongle in my sierra (even though it's only a farm truck right now). the bluetooth dongle was pretty cheap off of amazon, like $13 and works with all the apps iv tried so far. garage pro, car scanner, dash command. I dont know about torque pro, i deleted it and cant remember why.

I like to be able to figure out why my cel just came on while I'm driving....

Al

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading the above mentioned thread got me to thinking. If you already have a laptop would it be "better" to just load up some software
Yeah, I use TunerPro RT v5xx (freeware but a contribution is suggested) on my HP laptop running Windows 10, and a 12 pin ALDL cable ($60). That's all you need for OBDI coms (87 - 95). For OBDII (96+), get the 16 pin cable. If you want to get into tuning and burning/flashing, you'll need some more hardware. The issue with the scanner is you're limited to what you can see or log at the same time. Here's that screenshot from TunerPro (also from that other thread). This was from a 1227747 ECM in my 88
You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.tunerpro.net/

http://aldlcable.com/aldl.asp

HillcrestFarm

Reaction score
I was considering the same thing, and decided to look around on the cost for the dedicated scanners. For my OBD2 vehicles I ha e always gotten by with the cheap Bluetooth dongles.

I found the his OTC scanner on CL for $40 so I decided to go that route. Figured that would be easiest route.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What scanner to get is a tough question. Even if you watch the pros (South Main Auto, ScannerDanner, Pine Hollow) that work on multiple makes/models, you'll see they use a host of aftermarket scanners as no one brand is perfect. Nothing beats OEM, so if you work on only GM, a Tech2 or TECH2WIN would be best. I have Hyundai, Dodge, Chevy, Ford and Harley in my garage, so for me, a Snap-On scanner was the best answer to cover all my vehicles from 1990 - 2015 model years.

Marbo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just my 2cents... a tech2 or whatever factory scanner, plus subscription, is the only way to get things like bcm mods, a/c settings, tpm settings, factory options and that sort of thing. if engine computer is all u want then aftermarket is good enough....

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just my 2cents... a tech2 or whatever factory scanner, plus subscription, is the only way to get things like bcm mods, a/c settings, tpm settings, factory options and that sort of thing. if engine computer is all u want then aftermarket is good enough....
Any professional-grade scan tool can access more than just the engine.

ABS, Air bag, body computer, instrument cluster...all accessible without a "subscription" from my MT/MTG2500.

I cannot "upload" calibration changes, or access tire pressure monitor, though.