Sanden 4440 install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@L31MaxExpress, you do good work.
Thanks!

I learned in a shop a long time ago. Do it right and do it once. Hack it up and do it 3 or 4 times. Guess which one I like to do.

I am actually just kind of still messing with the van to get it exactly how I want it. I pulled the E-Fans off it, wanted a proper clutch fan and went this route. Duramax fan + the 16" puller move way more air than two of those 16" pullers.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So after looking over the pressure temperature charts on R134a and R152a, I think I see why the R152a moves heat better amd gets colder temps.

Take my pressures at 40°F from the left vent. At the 255 psi, R152a is at about 152°F. To get the same 152°F heat in the condenser R134a would have to be up around 275-280. At 39 psi the R134a is at about 44°F in the evaporator. At 39 psi the R152a is at about 33°F. Looking at what less air flow did to pressures, the 275 psi high side would put the suction side about 42 psi. At 42 psi R134a is boiling about 48°F. The air is coming out 8°F warmer than the evaporator core at the left vent. Same conditions would have the vent temps of R134a at about 56°F if the head pressure did not further rise beyond the pressure temperature curve with the R134a.

R152a charts for both suction and discharge. Temp in °F on the left and pressure in PSI on the right.

R152a actually has a colder boiling point than R12 and the R152a has a closer condensing pressure to R12 than R134a does. R12 gets its efficiency from being able to build heat at a lower pressure which lowers the suction pressure.

I am not running a thermodynamics lab, but my belief on why it cools better than R134a and closely rivals R12 in performance.
You must be registered for see images attach

For comparison there is the R134a chart.

Last edited:

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@L31MaxExpress thanks for sharing more r152a information.i only recently took the plunge into AC repair about a year ago. got a vac pump, gauges and a can tap. when I did my fathers Pilot, I actually weighed the can with a digital scale and added what ever the 134a to 152a conversion was. would it be better to use a 134a pressure temperature chart to get in the ballpark and then top off using an IR gun to check the superheat? do you mind sharing your methods?

Attachments

• Temp-pressure-chart-33776F1.jpg
    Temp-pressure-chart-33776F1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 12

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@L31MaxExpress thanks for sharing more r152a information.i only recently took the plunge into AC repair about a year ago. got a vac pump, gauges and a can tap. when I did my fathers Pilot, I actually weighed the can with a digital scale and added what ever the 134a to 152a conversion was. would it be better to use a 134a pressure temperature chart to get in the ballpark and then top off using an IR gun to check the superheat? do you mind sharing your methods?
I think you will end up overcharged if you try to use a pressure temperature chart for a refrigerant you are not using. If you use R134a suction and head pressure for example, the R152a system will look to be undercharged, so you add gas go it. Now when you rev the engine, that extra refrigerant shoots the head pressure up and liquid returns to the compressor, which results in a bang and screech.

Your fathers Honda might be an interesting one as it probably has an expansion valve H-block amd a ECU controlled variable displacement compressor. It is difficult to get to the evaporator inlet and outlet on those.

What I did on my 2007 G35 is hooked up a scan tool and logged the target and actual evaporator temp. I added refrigerant until the suction line was a few degrees warmer than the evaporator core temp. What I find interesting in that car is it is programmed to target 26-30°F when the car is at max blower speed and recirculate max air function on. I have seen the vent temps in that car get down to 30°F. That car has a variable displacement compressor with a PWM solenoid to control displacement. I figure the Honda is probably similar if it is newer. If the discharge air is blowing say 40°F and the suction line is under 50°F, I would say it is probably close. Also look at the temperature variance between vents. If it has dual climate control, turn both temp settings as low as they go. Then compare the different vents. If one vent is signifigantly warmer than the other, it either has low refrigerant or a possible blend door problem. I only mention a blend door problem as a caution because it will create the same symptoms as my next statement. Assuming good blend door seal and actuator function, If the system is low on charge, the evaporator will have a colder spot and a warmer spot in it and it will show up as a big variance in vent temps.

I do own an IR gun and use it frequently, but I also check alot of this by feel. On a fixed orifice tube system I can feel when it is about right holding the cold side lines with my finger tips. Don't grab a high side line though as it can actually burn your fingers. Once the suction line and accumulator get nearly as cold as the evaporator inlet the system is adequately charged. I try to feel the suction line as close to the compressor as possible watching out for the belts, hot engine parts, the cooling fans, etc. On my Van and Tahoe, I usually make sure that the line entering the compressor is within 10°F of the evaporator outlet. You want all the liquid boiled before it returns to the compressor. I use the gauges to make sure that the system is operating within reasonable pressures.

Some of this is just experience and hard to put the right words to. I have worked around many aftermarket ac systems, farm equipment, older vehicles that have been retrofited, etc for over 20 years. Probably the oddest thing I have worked on was system rebuild and R134a retrofit on an engine driven cold plate freezer/refrigerator on a chevy 350 powered cabin boat that someone had failed to retrofit correctly prior and the compressor seized. That unit had a Sanden 508 and the thing used a water cooled condenser.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One other note, you cannot take that chart exact either. Airflow across the condenser, engine rpm, specific system, etc will change the values you see on the gauges. That is a rough guide. Without touching the refrigerant charge on the van, I dropped the high side pressures nearly 70 psi with added airflow across the condenser. When I removed some of the added airflow the pressure jumped 20+ PSI.

Now look at the extreme of that 0°F boat cold plate freezer. The cut-off point on the low side was about 7 psi. The high side had ~90° water flowing through the condensor. With such little suction pressure and near endless cooling of the condenser, the high side pressure did not even run 150 psi. I only remember these because I only worked on that one about a month ago.

Last edited:

hekg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all, I too just installed a Sanden 4440 in my K1500 Tahoe but I'm not too comfortable with the oil situation. When I got my new Sanden I read that it comes preloaded with 4oz of oil but when I went to remove that oil nothing came out.
It came brand new and well packaged, compressor itself shrink-wrapped, etc. but when I turned it upside down and turned the clutch by hand no oil came out.
Also, the clutch was almost impossible to turn by hand, but I was able to turn it a few times. Is this normal for these to arrive from the factory without much oil inside and with such a hard to turn clutch?

hekg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all, I too just installed a Sanden 4440 in my K1500 Tahoe but I'm not too comfortable with the oil situation. When I got my new Sanden I read that it comes preloaded with 4oz of oil but when I went to remove that oil nothing came out.
It came brand new and well packaged, compressor itself shrink-wrapped, etc. but when I turned it upside down and turned the clutch by hand no oil came out.
Also, the clutch was almost impossible to turn by hand, but I was able to turn it a few times. Is this normal for these to arrive from the factory without much oil inside and with such a hard to turn clutch?
Oh man do I feel like a dunce. I just took a look at the Sanden pdf link that was shared in this post and these compressors come with an actual oil drain plug. From watching a bunch of youtube videos on how to replace compressors I only tried to get the oil out of it through ports where the manifold connects to.
If this is true then this means that I added an extra 4oz to an already full compressor but I still don't understand why it was so darn hard to turn that clutch though.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I got my new Sanden I read that it comes preloaded with 4oz of oil

I thought the Sanden #4440 came with 8oz. (edit: I looked, and the information I found said 135cc aka 4.5oz of oil)

One of us needs to check. (edit: I did)

So you added another 4oz to the compressor?

Did you add any other oil to the system, e.g., 4oz to the accumulator?

A Suburban with rear air requires 11oz of oil. Your Tahoe is likely similar, as your rear lines are only a bit shorter (assuming you have rear air). GMT400s w/o rear air require 8oz of oil.

Last edited:

hekg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought the Sanden #4440 came with 8oz. (edit: I looked, and the information I found said 135cc aka 4.5oz of oil)

One of us needs to check. (edit: I did)

So you added another 4oz to the compressor?

Did you add any other oil to the system, e.g., 4oz to the accumulator?

A Suburban with rear air requires 11oz of oil. Your Tahoe is likely similar, as your rear lines are only a bit shorter (assuming you have rear air). GMT400s w/o rear air require 8oz of oil.
Yes I added 5oz to the accumulator and so I was accounting for 9oz of fresh oil plus 2oz of oil left in the rear ac lines and rear evaporator to bring it to a total of around 11oz. But now I have 15oz in there and my gauge pressures are at 70/250 in 90 degree ambient temperature.

Can all of the extra oil be the reason why I can't get the low pressure side anywhere near 40psi?