Electric fan conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It gets hot here too. We have all the same conditions, not for weeks at a time. In one given day, if it’s 100° here, I’m sure I’d get that same reading pointing that on asphalt.

DawgNutts

Reaction score
I just installed an AlloyWorks 4 core w/fans on my 1997 Tahoe about a month ago. Works great so far. Right now I'm running a 195 degree thermostat with a 200/185 temp switch for the fans. Still haven't figured out how I'm going to wire it up so it also cuts the fan on with the AC. Once the truck warms up and the fans kick on the AC blows cold but from a cold start on a hot day the AC wont blow cold until the fans cut on. Also going to install a high output alternator this holiday weekend.

You must be registered for see images attach

95 Tahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed an AlloyWorks 4 core w/fans on my 1997 Tahoe about a month ago. Works great so far. Right now I'm running a 195 degree thermostat with a 200/185 temp switch for the fans. Still haven't figured out how I'm going to wire it up so it also cuts the fan on with the AC. Once the truck warms up and the fans kick on the AC blows cold but from a cold start on a hot day the AC wont blow cold until the fans cut on. Also going to install a high output alternator this holiday weekend.

Keep us posted. I'm thinking about doing the same to my 95 2 door tahoe. Mostly to help with at idle ac performance.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got some hot weather here.
It was 95 degrees out yesterday according to the mirror temp gauge. It's within a few degrees of the reported temp at the airport.
Went to the woods and one of the places i go is uphill all the way for about 5 miles some steeper grade and a few almost level spots but you are always on the gas doing about 10 to 15MPH and watching the gas needle fall.
Truck got up to 210 degrees on the steeper spots. On the not so steep parts it would drop to 197 degrees. Stop and just idling for a few minutes it would drop to 194. I do run a 195 degree thermostat. Oh, and the AC was on also.
So, Im really pretty happy with the fans i installed and for what i do and how i drive they work great.
Sure beats the original stock fan and HD clutch. When the original clutch went into lock mode it was almost like you hit the brakes a little bit. No more of that nonsense!
With the wiring upgrade under the hood and a new battery with a 140A alternator. The Volts never dropped below 13.6 running both front and rear ac were on 3/4 of the way as well as both radiator fans running full speed.
Electric fans are a win for me and second best after:boobs:

mwilliams55555

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let me just put this out there, for anyone wanting to do the swap. I have seen this done a lot. IMO, the OE electric fans, are better than the aftermarket electric fans. The OE fans of off, whatever you pull them from, do need to be off of a vehicle that is big enough to have sufficient cooling power. EG, You wouldn't want to put fans from a 4 cylinder vehicle, and expected them to keep your 5.7L 350 cool. The aftermarket fans do work well, but are noisy. Again, you need the correct set up for your truck. I have heard that the fans from a Ford Windstar work well, but they are getting hard to find in the junk yard. Measure your radiator, and find a set that covers as much of the cooling fin's as possible. You definitely want the shroud with the fans. This will pull the air through the fins as needed to work correctly.
Pulling a duel fan set-up of a 06-07, could possibly get as much of the wiring, relays and ECT, seen fan controllers but what is a descent one, also doing the big 3, but going to do more grounds, batt ground to body, to frame and engine, maybe look at fuse box for additional ground spot too. 99 OBS 5.7 inherited from my Dad, he really only drove it to Wisconsin and back to Indiana, always maintained, 275 thousand on the ticker

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pulling a duel fan set-up of a 06-07, could possibly get as much of the wiring, relays and ECT, seen fan controllers but what is a descent one, also doing the big 3, but going to do more grounds, batt ground to body, to frame and engine, maybe look at fuse box for additional ground spot too. 99 OBS 5.7 inherited from my Dad, he really only drove it to Wisconsin and back to Indiana, always maintained, 275 thousand on the ticker
I didn't use a fan controller. Each relay, is switched on by the temp switch on the intake, and then, the AC, clutch, and that is on a separate relay, so that the temp switch, can not turn on the AC clutch. It's all in my write up.

mwilliams55555

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't use a fan controller. Each relay, is switched on by the temp switch on the intake, and then, the AC, clutch, and that is on a separate relay, so that the temp switch, can not turn on the AC clutch. It's all in my write up.
I'll have to read it on the laptop, hard to see on phone lol, thanks