AlloyWorks radiator and E-fan conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DawgNutts

Reaction score
Installed the AlloyWorks 4 core radiator w/fans in my truck about a month ago. Running a 195 thermostat with a 200/185 fan switch. Swapped out the stock alternator for a 400AMP MechMan amp today. (Got a ~5000w stereo that I'm going to install. May have to add another alt). So far so good!! Going to have to hard wire one of the fans to come on with the AC. Pretty easy conversion, just make sure you get a relay for each fan, the kit only come with one relay. I also replaced the waterpump, belt, tensioner, and the complete AC system too (Except evaporator and lower ac line). Next on the list is pull out the interior to install sound deadening and build a custom center console.

You must be registered for see images attach

Lopezt13

Reaction score
I have a 90’ c1500 and got what looks like the same radiator where did you get the brackets for the top mount and did you use the stock rubber isolators?

DawgNutts

Reaction score
I have an update on my E-Fans. The fans that this kit comes with (90watt / 7.5amp) just aren't strong enough to cool down the truck and keep the AC cold on a 90+ degree day. So I upgraded the fans to Derale 18214 14" inch High Output Radiator Fans. They are 225 watt /22amp. Huge difference in CFM and you can tell. I had to pull the shroud off the radiator and drill new holes for the Derales. Also needed longer bolts and used BBQ grill gasket to put a seal between the fan and shroud. Used some 10 gauge quick connectors I had laying around so if I ever need to replace them in the future it will be easy. So far so good!!!

Still thinking about adding a PWM fan controller, so I can set them to come on with the AC and soft start. Right now I just have one wired to be on all the time and the other uses the 195 degree temp sensor switch.

DawgNutts

Reaction score
I have a 90’ c1500 and got what looks like the same radiator where did you get the brackets for the top mount and did you use the stock rubber isolators?
Stock brackets and rubber mounts. had to shave the rubber mounts a bit with a utility knife to fit better.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hopefully those Derales help in extreme heat. I had dual 16" fans on my Express at 3,000 cfm each and they could not do the job. There is not an electric fan out there that moves what the clutch fan does once the engine is just off-idle.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How do you like the quality of the Alloyworks rad? I've been searching for a fully aluminum radiator for my 96 454 truck and I haven't really found anything with decent "in-depth" reviews.

jrhthrd

Reaction score
How do you like the quality of the Alloyworks rad? I've been searching for a fully aluminum radiator for my 96 454 truck and I haven't really found anything with decent "in-depth" reviews.
@BNielsen - just wondering if you've settled on a radiator & fans for your truck? I've got a 1990 K3500 w/ 454 that needs a radiator. I'm planning to build the 454, so I want better-than-stock cooling, wondering what you've learned so far? Thanks!

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@BNielsen - just wondering if you've settled on a radiator & fans for your truck? I've got a 1990 K3500 w/ 454 that needs a radiator. I'm planning to build the 454, so I want better-than-stock cooling, wondering what you've learned so far? Thanks!
Truth be told I haven't gotten far, still running a stock radiator, I've mostly been lurking trying to figure something out. I wish I had a definite answer,

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 450 hp 8.1L Tahoe cools great with a mechanical clutch fan and stock big block 34x19 dual core radiator. My Tahoe did come with the factory electric pusher fan as well. It can sit and idle all day long with the ac ice cold if I want. 8.1L stays under 210F. You are not going to outcool the clutch fan, especially when paired with the OEM electric pusher.