Electric fan conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wait,.. what??? electric? you??
I have a clutch fan that uses an electronic clutch that is PCM controlled. Rather than having a bimetallic spring, it uses a PWM signal to a PWM relay to vary the amount of coupling and fan rpm. The clutch generates an RPM feedback signal to the PCM so that the PCM adjusts the fan RPM accordingly.

snipersm7

Reaction score
I have a universsl fit flexalite black magic thermostat controlled fan on my 1994 silverado. If I remember correctly it was 2,800 CFM. Truck is a 350 5 speed. I have pulled tow dolly's with cars on them, and short flat beds loaded down, and no overheating issues. I installed it in 1996. Took the clutch fan out and pitched it. Never looked back. That clutch fan seriously dragged the engine down when it was not freewheeling. My original flexalite finally crapped out last year. Bearings locked up. I bought another of the same exact fan. Bolted it right up and plugged the wires back in that were already on my truck. Set the thermostat control, and was done.
Did you change your t-stat or leave the 195 degree in?

Reaction score
Ok I just have chime in. I was a auto motive technician for GM from 1985 to 2010 then went to working the back parts counter as a counter guy for about 9 years. I love GM products. That said, I hate the fan clutch on my 1999 Tahoe. It sounds like big dump truck coming around the corner on real hot day. You have to floor it just to gain speed when that fan clutch is engaged. So I did electric fans swop on my Tahoe. I got a fan assembly that fits a 2005 Silverado from a salvage yard and used a Multi tool to shave it down to fit my Tahoe and made four metal brackets to hold it in place. I bought a relay kit for a 2005 Silverado, a trinary switch, Coolant temp switch "195-210", and 210 amp alternator all from Amazon. It all worked great. It help on power and gas millage. It changed the way this truck drives and runs. I really love driving it more than before. I only did this about three weeks ago but for now its working great. We'll see how it works when summer comes around.