Rough running 7.4 Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've mentioned this in a few other places but you can get a Chinese clone of a GM Tech 2 for around $300. I haven't had a chance to do much with mine yet but I'm very happy with it so far. It's a self contained tool which can also be used with a computer for more intensive applications like programming modules. Only works with GM products up to 2013, but it has lots of capabilities that other more universal tools don't. I've got a thread on the subject here.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/gm-tech2-clone-experience.32213/

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are these tools self contained or do you need to hook them to your laptop in order to fully utilize them?
No computer needed. The newer Solus tools run on a Windows platform, one reason I'm not thrilled about "upgrading" to them.

How easy/difficult are they to work with?
The hardest part is learning what "normal" readouts are, so that when the tool indicates something unusual, you'd actually recognize it. Beyond that, there's the huge owner's manual that nobody reads.

The real "trick" to working with a proper scan tool is to do it often enough that you're familiar with ALL that it can do.

Here's a thread on another forum where I posted photos. There's some humorous back-story, but the pictures are at Posts 14 and 15.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1146067

TexasAggie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Closing this one out.... I finally got around to replacing the coil and ICM today it cleared up the small misfire issue I had. She's running like a (20 year old) sewing machine now!