99 K2500 Burb Adventure/Camping/Hunting Rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took the truck to the shop Monday for A/C work. Since I bought the truck I have never once used the A/C. Prior to the engine swap I just never needed it, and after the swap I saw the hole in the line. I decided to just take it to a shop and have them replace the line, and check over the whole system. The line that needed replaced was the one going from the compressor to "everwhere". Autozone had it for $87, shop charged $120(not a horrible markup). Swapped that line, pressure checked the system, then charged it up. All in it was $650. Not the cheapest, but I wouldn't have had the time, and still would have had to take it to a shop to get leak checked and charged up. Got the truck back from the shop Thursday evening. The A/C works immaculately now. Which was a very nice on our drive today.

The kids and I started our 10 day out of state trip today. Driving from Idaho down to Las Vegas to visit my mom for a few days before starting our camping trip.

A/C came in real handy when we got further south in Nevada.

The first portion of the drive was around 130miles(mostly on I-84 doing between 80-85). On that stretch I got 10.3. Second stretch was 93 South through Nevada, about 200 miles 70-75mph, 11.3. The last stretch was the longest at 250ish miles, but I haven't refueled yet.

I was pleasantly surprised with the truck. This drive was about 5x longer than any previous travels in the Suburban. Only issue I had was the tensions pulley was squealing. So I stopped and bought a new on at the first parts store I saw. Not worth the risk being in the middle of nowhere. $72 and about 15 mins and I was on my way again.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I suppose I should update here as well. Never got moving on my actual planned camping trip.

As I was going around Las Vegas starting to pick up that last minute things we were gonna need, and start my grocery shopping, the truck started to misfire. It got a little worse, and then real bad.

After 2 days in Autozone Parking lots trying to fix it, I admitted defeat and took it to a shop. First shop was stumped, 2nd shop diagnosed a blown headgasket/overheating. See here for the full thread on the issue.

Now I am coordinating with a friend to bring their truck and trailer and tow me the 500 miles back home.

To me the headgasket issue makes sense for the issues I was having. It wasn't overheating though until they had it in the shop revving it and running tests. I guess that doesn't really matter though.

The 15 mile drive from the shop back to my moms house the truck performed flawlessly. Not worth the risk though.

So when I do get it home, I will be doing a compression test, and then likely pulling the motor. Maybe this is the time to build the 496 I've been wanting.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I've been following along on the other thread but nothing helpful to add so, I kept out of it. Bummer on the issues that cropped up and needing a tow back home from Vegas. At least you're not sitting at a campsite with the issues and get the extra time with family. Safe travels home.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been following along on the other thread but nothing helpful to add so, I kept out of it. Bummer on the issues that cropped up and needing a tow back home from Vegas. At least you're not sitting at a campsite with the issues and get the extra time with family. Safe travels home.
I completely agree. I am so glad the issues presented themselves while still in town. If this had happened out in the wilderness this would not have been a good situation. I will get it sorted out in time and will be better off for it.