1988 K2500 has no power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thered88

Reaction score
I have a 88 K2500 with the original 5.7 and 700r4 with 154k miles. Over a week ago I was going to a destination that was 2 hrs away and the truck ran fantastic (the best its ever ran). But when I was on my way home on the same day, it started losing power about an hour into my trip and over a week later it still has no power. like before i would barely have to press the gas petal to get to 40mph but now I have to push it to almost halfway. It also starts to sputter at lower throttle postions. I thought that it could be a fuel pressure issue but it tested at 12-13 psi at the throttle body. I can go into great detail about it if needed but thats the jist of it.

Parts that have been replaced:
Spark plugs and throttle body manifold gasket (in April)
Head gaskets, intake gaskets (3 times), and other non related parts (in august)
ignition control module, oil pressure sender, and knock sensor (in september)
fuel filter (in october)
EGR valve replaced the same morning that I left on the 2 hr trip mentioned earlier and this EGR failed at some point in time and was replaced on last friday (the first valve was an acdelco and was tested before installed and its current egr is a standard and was also tested before installation and it helped a little bit but it still doesnt run right)

if anyone has any suggestions that would be much appreciated.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will combine this thread with your previous thread.

Connect a scan tool, find out what the computer wants you to know.

Compare the vacuum nipple on the original EGR valve to the nipple on the new one. Other folks have had issues with replacement EGR valves not having the proper restriction in the nipple. EGR opens too much, too fast.

thered88

Reaction score
I would like to connect a scan tool but I cant find a good cheap one. I have a wifi obdII reader that connects to a app on my phone but im not sure if one of those odb1 to odb2 adapters would work with this. So any suggestions on what I should get/do would me nice.

My replacement EGRs have had the same type of nipple on them which i know is different than the og one but i cannot directly compare them cuz i threw the og one out :). What confuses me though is that it ran great for almost 3 hours before it started acting up and it hasnt ran right since.