Resonation.......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
96 K1500, 5.7

Installed a new exhaust on my truck. Walker OEM downpipes and cats, original mid pipe, Flowmaster Series 70 muffler with 2 inlets and single 3" outlet, with factory hangers and new Walker rubber isolaters. It's got lots of resonance. Sounds louder INSIDE the friggin' truck then out.

Do resonators help that much? Do they work best upstream or downstream of the muffler?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My system stock so dont have much knowledge on it, however dont new vehicles have 1 in the rear and some like Camaro have 2?. I feel like I've seen exhaust systems with them after the muffler. Even diesels I think have 2. Just my 2cents.. curious if somebody knows better

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Walker exhaust is single wall and will be louder than stock.
Almost any Flowmaster will be louder than stock.
Does it exit under the truck? That's gonna add an echo.

Spray the y-pipe, midpipe, and muffler (not the cats) with VHT to add some kind of sound deadening, make sure the tailpipe exits past the body line.
Or better yet, get rid of the Flowmaster and use a Walker Quietflow.

A resonator will not decrease the sound, it just drops the existing sound down an octive

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Walker exhaust is single wall and will be louder than stock.
Almost any Flowmaster will be louder than stock.
Does it exit under the truck? That's gonna add an echo.

Spray the y-pipe, midpipe, and muffler (not the cats) with VHT to add some kind of sound deadening, make sure the tailpipe exits past the body line.
Or better yet, get rid of the Flowmaster and use a Walker Quietflow.

A resonator will not decrease the sound, it just drops the existing sound down an octive

Nad,

When I have cut factory pipes I didn't see a two wall pipe, do you mean the factory pipe is a heavier gauge than the Walker?

The tailpipe exits behind the rear tire and the entire exhaust (except Cats) have three coats of VHT on them.

From the outside the exhaust is only slightly louder than stock.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Skip an inline resonator, and put a Helmholtz Resonator on your tailpipe. Basically a J-pipe that tunes out unwanted resonance.

Do a google search for Helmholtz resonator, tons of info out there. There are pics in my Suburban build thread also "1999 GMC Suburban K2500 DD".

It's a cheaper, easier, quicker fix...especially if you can weld.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Flowmaster is kinda infamous for exhaust drone inside the vehicle.

The OP thinks his is loud, Id like to take him for a ride in mine. Now Im not saying its loud but its g=damn loud, but Im getting used to it and its not an everyday driver as much as a hot rod and they should be loud right. I put a FlowMaster Series 40 with 2 1/2", 2 in and 2 out single muffler cause of space, I new it would be loud but its more than I thought, I even had the tailpipes extended to the rear instead of out the side.
Maybe resonators are in order in the future