Rebuilt 4l60e already leaking from this spot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dannothemanno

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will it go in reverse? If so but feels sluggish in od then the round plug that is leaking probably is not getting a good connection as well which is causing the transmission to start out in third. If it doesn't have reverse then that means something more serious. I would ensure the fluid isn't low.
It will go
Will it go in reverse? If so but feels sluggish in od then the round plug that is leaking probably is not getting a good connection as well which is causing the transmission to start out in third. If it doesn't have reverse then that means something more serious. I would ensure the fluid isn't low.
So the truck does go into reverse and when I drove it and tried tacking off at a stop sign it felt I had to step on the gas a little more for it to start moving and the connector feels like it's not on there right because your able unplug it just like that

I called the transmission shop that rebult it and they told me to take the truck to them but the only way for me to take it to them is to drive it there but it just keeps on dumping oil from where the connector is

I'm glad my transmission has a 1 year guarantee but Im not happy

Philhammerjr

Reaction score
I would let the shop look at it. It sounds like it is starting in third instead of 1st which means it is in "limp home mode"or It could be slipping because of low fluid due to the leaking connector. I think it being in limp mode is more likely but I would check the fluid before driving it to the shop since slipping due to low fluid would cause permanent damage to the clutches and require the transmission to be rebuilt again. Driving in limp mode won't cause any damage short term. It's just annoying since your truck won't be able to take off very fast. Also the shop should be able to fix the leaking connector.

Dannothemanno

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would let the shop look at it. It sounds like it is starting in third instead of 1st which means it is in "limp home mode"or It could be slipping because of low fluid due to the leaking connector. I think it being in limp mode is more likely but I would check the fluid before driving it to the shop since slipping due to low fluid would cause permanent damage to the clutches and require the transmission to be rebuilt again. Driving in limp mode won't cause any damage short term. It's just annoying since your truck won't be able to take off very fast. Also the shop should be able to fix the leaking connector.
OK and each time I keep taking out the dipstick to check the oil level it keeps on showing that it's past the fill mark (checking it cold so I don't keep on turning it on and not end up breaking something)
Either way if it breaks on me on the way there thank goodness I got the guarantee and we'll I guess I'll be pushing my truck the rest of the way
I'll keep y'all updated if y'all are interested

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
You misspelled 4L80E.
NOPE I ment 4l60e !!! I love them they've tread me well and my 98 Z71 with 4l60e has done it's share of towing. Ya that's 13 000lbs behind that 4l60e with 350 000km never bin rebuilt I think it still has its original oil. The 4l60e is so underrated and bashed they are alot better transmission then idiots make them out to be.

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
NOPE I ment 4l60e !!! I love them they've tread me well and my 98 Z71 with 4l60e has done it's share of towing. Ya that's 13 000lbs behind that 4l60e with 350 000km never bin rebuilt I think it still has its original oil. The 4l60e is so underrated and bashed they are alot better transmission then idiots make them out to be.

You must be registered for see images attach

4L60s are the reason my neighbor's transmission shop does so well.

Philhammerjr

Reaction score
Until you throw more than 250HP at it.

Maybe your trolling but I guess I will bite and state the obvious....most vehicles that came with a 4l60e had more than 250 from the factory. I guess everyone's milage various but I never had any issues with 4l60e's. I just recently sold a Tahoe it 220k miles on the clock and still shifted perfect...now 700r4's.. that's a whole other story:mad:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to do your homework the 700r4 and the 4L60 are the same trans, GM just changed their designation to 4L60 in the early 90's. Then in 92 they added the electronic controls and called it 4L60E and those 350s from 92 - 95 delivered a whopping 190 advertised HP while the 96+ Vortecs delivered a whole 255 (if you believe what GM says). The 4L60E had the same guts as the 700r4 just had solenoids controlled by the PCM. Did you read all of the other posts from experienced and quite knowledgeable members? Whose the one trolling around here???