Rebuilt 4l60e already leaking from this spot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dannothemanno

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright so I took my truck to the shop it was about a 20 mile drive it felt OK driving other than the loud exhaust but it was able to go the speed limit and then some but at each stop it would feel like it didn't have enough power to move and I would have the pedal almost all the way down to get it to move.

And just wondering when you put in a torque converter does it have to slide in 2 or 3 times

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And just wondering when you put in a torque converter does it have to slide in 2 or 3 times

I've never done it personally but from what I've read you should hear/feel three distinct clunks before the converter is seated all the way.

Dannothemanno

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never done it personally but from what I've read you should hear/feel three distinct clunks before the converter is seated all the way.
OK because now I'm starting to think I didn't put in all the way because I have to step on the gas almost all the way just to get it to move but the rms only reach around 2-3 thousand rpms before it moves

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you didn't get it in the 3 steps you wouldn't be able to get the bell housing tight up against the engine block without breaking something, usually the ears on the bell housing. IIRC there's only ~1/4" free play between the flywheel and the TC when installed properly.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
I would let the shop look at it. It sounds like it is starting in third instead of 1st which means it is in "limp home mode"or It could be slipping because of low fluid due to the leaking connector. I think it being in limp mode is more likely but I would check the fluid before driving it to the shop since slipping due to low fluid would cause permanent damage to the clutches and require the transmission to be rebuilt again. Driving in limp mode won't cause any damage short term. It's just annoying since your truck won't be able to take off very fast. Also the shop should be able to fix the leaking connector.
Same here I've put upwards of 500 000km on 4l60es
Maybe your trolling but I guess I will bite and state the obvious....most vehicles that came with a 4l60e had more than 250 from the factory. I guess everyone's milage various but I never had any issues with 4l60e's. I just recently sold a Tahoe it 220k miles on the clock and still shifted perfect...now 700r4's.. that's a whole other story:mad:
Yup the 4l60 is a great trans when and if mine ever dies it'll get a bunch of Sonnax parts. With Sonnax these 4l60e's can hold more power then a 4l80e without the bullshit involved in doing a 4l80e swap.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yup the 4l60 is a great trans when and if mine ever dies it'll get a bunch of Sonnax parts. With Sonnax these 4l60e's can hold more power then a 4l80e without the bullshit involved in doing a 4l80e swap.

You're on crack. Plain and simple. Stop trolling.

OP it really sounds like your trans has no 12V going to it. When this happens you only have 3rd gear moving forward. 4L80 defaults to 2nd gear. Between that and the leaky harness I'd say replace the internal harness.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
Yeah... No. I spent $2800 on a 4L60E rebuild and my V6 truck still killed it. Plenty of Sonnax parts went into that along with other reputable brands. Very reputable local transmission shop did the rebuild. Granted it's mostly my fault for removing torque management from the tune and driving very hard but even a well built 4L60E is much weaker than a stock 4L80E. There are plenty of drag vehicles pushing over 1K HP to the wheels running stock 4L80Es with TransGo shift kits having zero issues. Try that with a 4L60E.
There's alot of built 4l60e out there doing good.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's alot of built 4l60e out there doing good.

There sure are... Many of the people running them in higher power applications do so solely for the quicker first gear, and remove/rebuild them occasionally as preventative maintenance. If that's the goal and you don't mind burning money then more power to you.

To even get a 60E to the point where it will hold 500+ HP (probably temporarily) you'll be spending thousands of dollars. You can throw 500+ HP at a $500 junkyard stock 4L80E for an eternity. I had a 4L80E swap done in the same V6 truck I mentioned earlier for around $3800 using extremely nice parts and doing zero labor myself. It can be done for less than half of that if you do the labor. IMO if durability and efficient use of funds (EDIT - And power/rough driving) are the goals then there is no situation where it would make sense to build a 60E for one of these trucks instead of just doing an 80E swap.

Last edited:

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
There sure are... Many of the people running them in higher power applications do so solely for the quicker first gear, and remove/rebuild them occasionally as preventative maintenance. If that's the goal and you don't mind burning money then more power to you.

To even get a 60E to the point where it will hold 500+ HP (probably temporarily) you'll be spending thousands of dollars. You can throw 500+ HP at a $500 junkyard stock 4L80E for an eternity. I had a 4L80E swap done in the same V6 truck I mentioned earlier for around $3800 using extremely nice parts and doing zero labor myself. It can be done for less than half of that if you do the labor. IMO if durability and efficient use of funds (EDIT - And power/rough driving) are the goals then there is no situation where it would make sense to build a 60E for one of these trucks instead of just doing an 80E swap.
Sonnax and a good transmission shop will build a dam good 4l60. My 98 Z71 Silverado 4l60e has over 350 000km and it's still going strong and it gets worked over believe me I bought a truck cause I needed a truck and my 4l60e has proven itself to me hell I've had 13 000 lbs behind my 4l60 and it's still going truth be told I think that's the original transmission fluid in it aswell. I don't know why everyone puts these 4l60s down hell I've had great luck with them I'm not afraid of a 4l60 by any means.