Rear end id? please help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Orum

Reaction score
Hello

I have a 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe 2 dr, 2wd, vortec 350. i have made some improvements to the engine and now i want to add a locker to the rear end, BUT i am lost! i really cant identify the rear end in this thing.
does anybody know which rear end this is? the cover says Spicer on it.

Pic attached.

Thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
T'ain't a factree rear end, I can tell you that! Probably a rear out of a square body truck.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WTF is that? Not a 10 or 12 bolt, not a 14 semi or full floater. Sorta looks like a Dana 44 but different bottom.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Go to your glove box. All the option codes( RPO ) are there. Then google "GM rpo codes"
You can get a pdf download of all the 3 digit codes. The latest one i got is by ACDelco. Try that first. It helps if it is. Make, year, C or K, 1/2, 3/4 etc.

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dana 70 possibly. They came in the early GMT400 1 ton trucks. Someone may have swapped it in for an axle upgrade

see if you can clean up the axle tubes and find anymore numbers. the part number on the diff cover is for the diff cover only. If it is a dana 70 from a GMT400 it should be the Dana 70-3HD

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last edited:

David Orum

Reaction score
Thx for all the fast replyes.

I cant id it by the rpo codes. because the sticker is missing in the glovebox.

Nothing to be found on the axle tubes. the tubes and housing are to rusty.

Its an open diff, what i can tell its a regular c-clip axle and its
5 lug.

Im posting 2 more pics of some numbers found on the housing and on the ring gear if it helps someone id it for me?

David Orum

Reaction score
the really strange thing is that i have 2 trucks with this unknown rear axle in it.
the 1999 tahoe 2 door, and a 1997 c1500 shortbed

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, the RPO code didn't say which axle you got anyways that I can remember. Pretty sure the only thing it had on the RPO was axle ratio.

I see a "DANA" on there, LOL. Maybe you can call them and they can tell you? Looking at that link again, maybe a Dana 30? The bolt pattern seems to match yours:

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely not a Dana 70. Dana 60 n 70 have the same or very close to the same cover. Since ur on the other side of the pond, could be a country specific thing or something. But since it says Dana, possibly a 40.