Rear differential help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is what a 8.5, 10 bolt rear end looks like. Look close. You can see 2 ears hanging off of the bottom of my diff. All 10 bolts have these ears, at least in these trucks, anyway. The 1500, most likely has a 8.5, 10 bolt, and the 2500, a 9.5, 14 bolt. It is a very bad idea to take parts out of 1 rear end, and put the in another. There are precise measurements involved to set pinion depth, pinion tention and ring gear back lash, and spacing. I rebuilt my 8.5, 10 bolt, I Put an Eaton trutrack, a set of Summit Racing 373 gears, all new bearings, seals, a crush sleeve eliminator kit, and I got the install kit from Summit also. It cost me $1100, but that's with me doing all of the work myself. In the 2ed pic, you can see where I broke the 10 bolt, carrier bearing mount, off of the carrier, itself. You can count the bolts on the carrier. There are 10, and that's why it's a 10 bolt. Although the cover also has 10 bolts, that is not what makes it a 10 bolt rear end.

Attachments

• attachments-22.jpg
    attachments-22.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 19
  • attachments-5.jpg
    attachments-5.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 19
  • attachments.jpg
    attachments.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 19
  • attachments-4.jpg
    attachments-4.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 17
  • attachments-14.jpg
    attachments-14.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
An example of a 10 bolt G80 - AKA Gov Bomb
You must be registered for see images attach
That is why I very gently put my truck into nuetral and release the parking brake let it warm up before i put it in drive.
Thats also why I have 3 kinds of roadside towing insurance.
The G80 is pretty much an ass tumor waiting to happen

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is why I very gently put my truck into nuetral and release the parking brake let it warm up before i put it in drive.
And here's me trying to fix it-3 times I tried to buy governor and 3 times something happened-1 was a fraud, 1 only latch was in the box and 1 I gave up at the last moment-I guess something/someone is watching over me lol.

marshjosh93

Reaction score
Have you pulled the rim and the drum off?
Are you sure you dont have a broken brake shoe stuck in the drum?
Did your wheel bearing come apart and jam up that side axle?
Did you pull the cover off and find crunchy chunks?
It does sound like a diff failure.
But no matter what plan you end up with, it all has to come apart.
And look at the evidence when you take it apart.
Is the pinion bearing loose, are any of the parts superheated and purple cooked
Do you have a burn mark or a groove on the axle shaft from it riding out of round on a bad bearing.
That type of thing.
I dont think the parts truck is a good idea.
If I had an identical truck sitting next to mine with the same gear and the diff.
And I had the combined awesome mechanics on this forum here to help me do that swap.
It would take two days and the first day would involve them telling me not to do it.
I died laughing. thanks for the other things to look at. I'm gonna get it picked up tomorrow and get to investigating. At this point from the sound of it, if it IS the diff... sounds like I've got a pretty nice parts truck for sale

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And here's me trying to fix it-3 times I tried to buy governor and 3 times something happened-1 was a fraud, 1 only latch was in the box and 1 I gave up at the last moment-I guess something/someone is watching over me lol.
Not really sure what that means but I want to re-emphasize to you that setting up a diff gear properly is a pretty advanced level of mechanics.
It seems simple but if you get it wrong it fails immediatly and a small mistake gets really expensive really fast.
Gear sets are not bolt in parts.
If I went out and pulled the G80 out of my truck tonight and tried to put it back in It would fail.
Setting up a diff is every bit a imporatant and as complicated as building an engine.
And, if you get it wrong, you can shredd a bunch of money just by putting it in gear.
I see that you are new to this fotum.
I dont know if you are new to mechanics.
But I think that attempting a gear change might be a bit of a hard way to start.
Look at the RPO codes first.
Figure out which diff and what gears..
Forget about that K1500
That will not work.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not really sure what that means but I want to re-emphasize to you that setting up a diff gear properly is a pretty advanced level of mechanics.
It seems simple but if you get it wrong it fails immediatly and a small mistake gets really expensive really fast.
Gear sets are not bolt in parts.
If I went out and pulled the G80 out of my truck tonight and tried to put it back in It would fail.
Setting up a diff is every bit a imporatant and as complicated as building an engine.
And, if you get it wrong, you can shredd a bunch of money just by putting it in gear.
I see that you are new to this fotum.
I dont know if you are new to mechanics.
But I think that attempting a gear change might be a bit of a hard way to start.
Look at the RPO codes first.
Figure out which diff and what gears..
Forget about that K1500
That will not work.
I was mostly referring to the"g80 is an ass tumour waiting to happen"remark and the rest is like I said-3 times attempted to get right part-governor itself as mine shed a tooth and 3 times it didn't happen-no more no less than a friendly remark to emphesize your words.
But looking at what you wrote to me I think you were still talking to marshjosh93 and simply didn't notice it was someone else who threw in 2 cents-"forget about that K1500" gave it away lol

SB71

Reaction score
Just great. I knew I had hemorrhoids but now I find out I'm dealing with an ass tumor