Randomly shuts off, then restarts after it sits for an hour or 2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my Suburban. It wound up being a dead cell in the battery.

I checked the battery today. Even though it was putting out good voltage, and was starting the truck really well - it failed when I did the load test. I wasn't believing it, because it is a 13 month old exide marathon max agm that I bought from rock auto. I figured it can't be bad yet.

I went to auto zone and they tested it - same results, good voltage but some kind of short in 1 of the cells. So, I replaced it with their duralast gold. Hopefully that holds up, and hopefully rock auto will warranty my bad exide. I don't even remember if/what the warranty was on that.

After installing, I ran my battery test on the new duralast, and it passed.

I sure have been been having a lot of new parts fail prematurely lately...

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I checked the battery today. Even though it was putting out good voltage, and was starting the truck really well - it failed when I did the load test. I wasn't believing it, because it is a 13 month old exide marathon max agm that I bought from rock auto. I figured it can't be bad yet.

I went to auto zone and they tested it - same results, good voltage but some kind of short in 1 of the cells. So, I replaced it with their duralast gold. Hopefully that holds up, and hopefully rock auto will warranty my bad exide. I don't even remember if/what the warranty was on that.

After installing, I ran my battery test on the new duralast, and it passed.

I sure have been been having a lot of new parts fail prematurely lately...

It's been a crapshoot lately on parts; I feel your pain

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pulled our camper back to the Oklahoma sand dunes today. The truck ran great again. All seems back to normal.

Thanks for all of the ideas and help. Next time this happens, I will be better prepared on how to attack the problem.

Super_chevy

Reaction score
This happened to me after I put in the 383 turns out my motor starter was getting over heated and the truck would shut off then wouldn’t start up until the starter cooled back down. Flush my coolant and refilled found out shop filled it up with straight water no bueno with these trucks has to be dextrose no issues after that