Radiator replacement oem vs aftermarket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drew3885

Reaction score
Hey all. I’m new here and this is my first post. I have to replace my radiator on my 97 Silverado fixer upper. I was wondering your thoughts on oem vs aftermarket. I’m trying to decide on getting a standard aftermarket from an auto parts store or going for the oem . I hate to spend the extra if the aftermarket will hold up. What is your advice?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes sorry I forgot to put that in. It is a 5.7.

My experience if it's a plastic style radiator. They go bad either way. Look at warranty. Biggest thing is get a thick core vs the stock thin one. Lot of threads about radiator upgrade. But unless your gonna get a custom aluminum style your good with either ac delco or I've had good luck with oreilly hd. Biggest thing is thick core. Also shoot for lifetime warranty. I currently got a ac delco from Amazon but it's a hassle to claim warranty vs going in the parts store. Your choice .. oh and welcome to the thread:)

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I wouln't bother with the AC Delco. It won't truly be an original part. About 10 years ago, I was able to get a Delphi radiator that came out of the same plant as my original, and it was identical except the drain was eliminated. During the Delphi bankruptcy that plant went back to GM, and I assume only makes radiators for new or newer vehicles. I think someone here bought an AC Delco radiator and it came from Mexico.

I bought a TYC that seems to be decent.