Proform 66668 Diff Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Any time I see a sales video showing how bad the competitor's product is, without a corresponding video showing a genuine benefit, I get the feeling somebody's selling me a load of crap. Banks has a good reputation, and I'm pretty sure they're not selling bumpkiss. If they'd take the time to make a plexiglass cover shaped like theirs to show the difference, that video would mean something to me.

That's in another video. Because of his series my desire for an aftermarket diff cover plummeted to zero. Seems the engineers knew a thing or 2 after all.

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How many differentials have you seen with the caps broken?

Me = Zero.

I've seen failed bearings, I've seen broken gears. I've seen worn-out positraction clutches. Broken caps...no.

The cap distortion causes other things to break/wear faster

edit: It's a proven fix/bandaid for the weaker dana 36 C4 Corvette diff they add block of alum to the cover that is machined to just fit and support the caps. I think the C4 dana 44 comes that way factory.

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's in another video. Because of his series my desire for an aftermarket diff cover plummeted to zero. Seems the engineers knew a thing or 2 after all.

Aftermarket cast alum cover is still stiffer than stamped steel to help girdle the diff housing some and alum will dissipate heat better.

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Moser cover is nice and has the ring bulge & does come with a gasket, I may still just spring the extra for it. Looks like the caps supports are recess compared to the proform. Plus just noticed it is stamped USA. I don't think a fancy cover will fix a weak/worn rearend but in my case if it extends the life a bit and makes fluid changes easy. Or if I had more extreme use I'd consider a stronger upgrade.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Aftermarket cast alum cover is still stiffer than stamped steel to help girdle the diff housing some and alum will dissipate heat better.

Can you quantify the effects of the girdling and heat dissipation? Because we can clearly see how aerated the oil can get and the extent to which they can starve the pinion bearings. You're going to spend as much on a diff cover as I did at the junkyard for an entire axle assembly that added a crapton more durability than a chunk of poorly engineered aluminum.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
makes fluid changes easy.
HOW OFTEN do you change differential lube?

I've had my K1500 since '97. I've changed lube about three times that I remember; and once was because I removed the 8.5 in favor of a semi-float 9.5; so I pulled the axles and cover on the 9.5 for inspection before I bolted it in place. And once after that, because the Gov-Lock quit working.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your question OP. I'd be calling the manufacturer on this one. Anyways, here's what they are saying per the Summit website:

"You've improved your reaction time and now it's time to inform your competition. Proform Perfect Launch differential covers state the facts with their logo machined on the raised reinforcing surface. These rear-end covers are made of lightweight but tough aluminum and have been specifically designed to add strength to the rear housing case, particularly during heavy torque situations. Precision-milled and painted black, these Perfect Launch covers include two bolts to stabilize bearing main caps, two magnetic drain plugs, and mounting bolts. You can lose a little weight in your rear-end and send a message to your competition with Perfect Launch reinforced differential covers from Proform."

They do say the cover adds strength. I would buy that statement. But I would side with @Schurkey on this. These axles don't usually fail in this area; it's usually ring gear, spider gears, axles, or bearings or something like that..."stabilize bearing caps?" I didn't know those are unstable! Like, do they loose up under load or what!

Now the statement about losing weight is just ridiculous! That stamped steel cover has to weigh ounces. I would be surprised if the chunkier-looking aluminum weighs marginally less. Maybe I'm wrong?

I would make this a good example of how lucrative and profitable the aftermarket automotive industry is. I bet there's marketers from these companies coming up with these ideas. They probably have some internal mission statement that says something like, "...just build it and they will buy it." Sadly, this is true in a lot of our consumer-driven economy. :-(

Sorry, nothing against this product. But it does look cool as heck!

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you quantify the effects of the girdling and heat dissipation? Because we can clearly see how aerated the oil can get and the extent to which they can starve the pinion bearings. You're going to spend as much on a diff cover as I did at the junkyard for an entire axle assembly that added a crapton more durability than a chunk of poorly engineered aluminum.

Differential housing bracing is well accepted practice in many automotive sports, don't gotta be an engineer to understand it.

I'd rather not change the rearend that often, so if it extends the life and that of the next one I transfer it to them it's win for me.

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
HOW OFTEN do you change differential lube?

I've had my K1500 since '97. I've changed lube about three times that I remember; and once was because I removed the 8.5 in favor of a semi-float 9.5; so I pulled the axles and cover on the 9.5 for inspection before I bolted it in place. And once after that, because the Gov-Lock quit working.

Extreme/abuse use reduces fluid life/effectiveness. I've changed the fluid in my Corvettes a few times and I gotta use a pump to suck it out. Check with a race-team and see how often they service fluids, I don't to that extreme but I'll more often than normal for my use if it saves me from sooner part replacement. For example if I take the truck to a bunrout contest I'll prob change the fluid sooner.

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your question OP. I'd be calling the manufacturer on this one. Anyways, here's what they are saying per the Summit website:

"You've improved your reaction time and now it's time to inform your competition. Proform Perfect Launch differential covers state the facts with their logo machined on the raised reinforcing surface. These rear-end covers are made of lightweight but tough aluminum and have been specifically designed to add strength to the rear housing case, particularly during heavy torque situations. Precision-milled and painted black, these Perfect Launch covers include two bolts to stabilize bearing main caps, two magnetic drain plugs, and mounting bolts. You can lose a little weight in your rear-end and send a message to your competition with Perfect Launch reinforced differential covers from Proform."

They do say the cover adds strength. I would buy that statement. But I would side with @Schurkey on this. These axles don't usually fail in this area; it's usually ring gear, spider gears, axles, or bearings or something like that..."stabilize bearing caps?" I didn't know those are unstable! Like, do they loose up under load or what!

Now the statement about losing weight is just ridiculous! That stamped steel cover has to weigh ounces. I would be surprised if the chunkier-looking aluminum weighs marginally less. Maybe I'm wrong?

I would make this a good example of how lucrative and profitable the aftermarket automotive industry is. I bet there's marketers from these companies coming up with these ideas. They probably have some internal mission statement that says something like, "...just build it and they will buy it." Sadly, this is true in a lot of our consumer-driven economy. :-(

Sorry, nothing against this product. But it does look cool as heck!

I don't think anyone cares bout the orig question or staying on subject.

The cap deflection causes bearing and gear wear or sooner breakage. Some go to all the trouble to set up a good gear pattern, then don't make sure it stays under extreme load. Using parts with higher output than designed for or intended often results in a aftermarket piece to adapt/fix that part. it's your choice on how you spend YOUR money and mine to if I decide to try and extend/protech my investment/work.

They make cast iron covers, I'm sure the weight part is geared towards that, not the thin stamped steel OEM ones.