Proform 66668 Diff Cover

Discussion in 'Axles + Brakes' started by BOOT, Jan 21, 2021.

1. BOOT

BOOT OBS Enthusiast

2. Schurkey

Schurkey I'm Awesome

Waste of money.

If you're concerned about the service life and loading of an 8.5 axle, (and you should be!) there's plenty of enormously-stronger 9.5 axles that can swap into your truck. Stronger gears, stronger axle shafts, stronger bearings, stronger housing. A "real" upgrade, instead of hot-roddy bling.

3. studigggs

studigggs I'm Awesome

Banks did some cool videos on fluid flow in diff covers. I can't tell if the ProForm is flat or not (customer pic on Amazon almost looks like it is), but I would be hesitant to get away from a stock-style cover after watching it.

1ton-o-fun and BOOT like this.
  4. Nad_Yvalhosert

Nad_Yvalhosert I'm Awesome

Been there, done that. Never regretted it. My 6 lug 14 bolt came from a light duty 2500 donor truck, into my SWB 1500 when I destroyed the weak single tire fire 8.5.

In fact, it's coming back outta my '88, rebuilding and transplanting into my '00 Denali. '88 is getting all 8 lug stuff from my rotted frame '98 'Burban 2500.

Musical axles...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    1ton-o-fun likes this.
  5. BOOT

BOOT OBS Enthusiast

Seen that, it's not enough gain for the additional cost vs time/use. I want a cover that fills/drains easy and if I'm gonna spend the money I'll get the girdle type.

After I put the truck on a diet and do some other things the rearend should hold up fine for my use. I don't believe in the bigger is always better rule, half the time improper maintenance is the cause of failures and a lot of it is improper setup/use.

6. Schurkey

Schurkey I'm Awesome

The 8.5 was designed as a passenger-car axle. It was used in Camaro, Chevelle, and Nova (F, A, X) body styles. Wasn't even used in "full-size" cars until after they were downsized in '77. From a certain perspective, an 8.5 in a full-size truck IS "improper use".

You would be well-served by upgrading to a 9.5.

"I" would not put money into an 8.5 in a full-size truck/SUV; and that's three times as true if that axle had the evil leading/trailing shoe brakes--the 9.5 axle gets you better Duo-Servo rear brakes in addition to being bigger, stronger. I might put money into an 8.5 in my Nova, however.

Your truck...your call.

1ton-o-fun likes this.
  7. BOOT

BOOT OBS Enthusiast

I got 2 irs cars and one 7.5, not broke them yet, don't think I'll break this truck 8.5 for my use and if I do, got a spare. My fox has a built 8.8 because it's a drag car.

1ton-o-fun likes this.
  8. Erik the Awful

Erik the Awful Supporting Member

Any time I see a sales video showing how bad the competitor's product is, without a corresponding video showing a genuine benefit, I get the feeling somebody's selling me a load of crap. Banks has a good reputation, and I'm pretty sure they're not selling bumpkiss. If they'd take the time to make a plexiglass cover shaped like theirs to show the difference, that video would mean something to me.

1ton-o-fun and SUBURBAN5 like this.
  9. BOOT

BOOT OBS Enthusiast

First it was awhile ago I saw the video, so I may rem it exactly but I deff thought it was interesting.

I think that since most OEM covers have that bulge it shows that it works and he's not really done anything new. I also think he proves that it makes a very small difference. Efficiency has always interested me BUT as a budget racer/hot rodder I have to stop and say, is it Cost efficient. I could get a cover with that bulge & also the cap bracing/fill-drain for another $30ish BUT for my beater shop truck project I'm not gonna put out the extra green. Easy fluid change & cap bracing is enough for me.

1ton-o-fun likes this.
  10. Schurkey

Schurkey I'm Awesome

How many differentials have you seen with the caps broken?

Me = Zero.

I've seen failed bearings, I've seen broken gears. I've seen worn-out positraction clutches. Broken caps...no.

1ton-o-fun likes this.