Peeling clear coat.. options/opinions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Anything to fix this before it gets just way worse, or is a full on paint job in the works?
Tempted to plastidip the entire thing black.

Also, what to do about this rust?

Sand it down and primer it for now or what, just to stop the cancer from spreading?

If I were to plastidip the thing, I guess I'd need to strip that clear off the entire truck or just get the chunks off?
I'm not experienced at all with body work/paint. I love my spray cans though!

Thanks for any tips fellas.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
typical gm paint issues. it needs to be taken down and redone, you don't want to invest in a paint job and apply it on top of that clear as its loosing its adhesion/bond with the base coat and will cause problems.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
typical gm paint issues. it needs to be taken down and redone, you don't want to invest in a paint job and apply it on top of that clear as its loosing its adhesion/bond with the base coat and will cause problems.

I figured as much.. so how should I take all the clear off.. I'm just going to keep pressure washing it off until I get it all off lol

JJHUSSY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gotta redpaint the whole thing. Sorry to deliver the bad news, but I have to deal with it now myself. :(

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
My clear is peeling from my roof. I'll just get it resprayed if it gets bad.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I have a small spot on my passenger side rear pillar right above the "Silverado" badge. Should I sand it down, primer, paint and reclear?

hamie9er

Reaction score
unfortunately there's no "fix" for peeling clearcoat except to sand it down and repaint, as far as that rust goes I would hit it with some 80 grit and finish it up with some 180 after most of the chunky rust is gone then spray a direct to metal epoxy primer on it to prevent any more rust from happening. You have to make sure you sand all that rust away and if you or someone you know has a small sand blaster even better, you could just blast that area then prime it afterwards.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Clear coat: strip and repaint.

Rust, sand to virgin metal (leave no rust, not even specs), filler/primer and then hit it with paint.

you must use paint as primer is porous and will allow water and oxygen to make it to the base metal and cause rust all over again. Get a rattle can of matching paint if you're not doing the whole truck until you can swing a full paint job.

Is it just me or does your thumb look all F'd up?