Instant orange peel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's all irrelevant now. I could not have cared less about any paint at this point, and just put the header panel back on so I could make sure everything fits.

I was then trying to move the car around the garage (by tow strap and 4x4 assistance). Damn thing got away from me and hit a corner wall. Now I have this:

You must be registered for see images attach

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
It's all irrelevant now. I could not have cared less about any paint at this point, and just put the header panel back on so I could make sure everything fits.

I was then trying to move the car around the garage (by tow strap and 4x4 assistance). Damn thing got away from me and hit a corner wall. Now I have this:

You must be registered for see images attach
The bright side is you don't need to strip it now...

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ironically, the whole reason I was trying to move it was because I wanted to make a few adjustments and take it for a quick spin before the NEPA weather hits tomorrow.

I also wanted to make sure that at least the headlights, turn signals, brake lights, etc... were functional. Believe me, this car is FAR from complete or perfect, but it does - without a doubt - start, run, drive, and sounds like a Trans Am should!

Needs15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get automotive paint is expensive and guys just want to do a quick cheap fix on things but 95 percent of the time when you cheap out on paint and paint products you end up spending more to fix it then had you just bit the bullet and bought the proper products in the first place. 1k and 2k products generally never work well together and this is heightened when it's cheap products being used.

Every paint company has their cheaper product line and their high end product line. The cheaper line will still get the job done and will look good as long as the prep work is good, proper flash and dry times are followed before applying next product. You just can't expect the finish to last as long as the higher end product.

I have many pictures and videos of razorblading paint off of cars because of incompatible products being used where there is no adhesion. So my advice to all the DIYers out there, spend the money on the proper products and it will save you money and time at the end of the day and you'll be surprised how much easier things can be when painting with the proper products.

That's my rant for the day

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Video or it didn't happen.

Because I like hearing V8s.

So not to hijack my own thread, however, I've been taking the T/A for more regular spins around the block. Still no video because it's been too dark when I fire it up.

As with any regularly driven car, it's had it's first bout of engine trouble since being on the road.... Not good, seeing as how there's not even 10 miles on that engine.

I did a nice second gear pull on the road in front of my house. It's a good 1/4 mile stretch, then there's a place to make a u-turn. In the middle of that u-turn, the engine started to sputter like it wasn't getting fuel, then as it got warmer, it flat out stalled. Hmmmm.

Fuel pressure - check.
Has spark - check
Running richer than Oprah - check
Water coming from the exhaust like a leaking spigot - check

I pulled all 8 spark plugs and they were fouled BLACKER than black and all smelled like fuel. Not good. Seems I have some adjustments to make.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I get automotive paint is expensive and guys just want to do a quick cheap fix on things but 95 percent of the time when you cheap out on paint and paint products you end up spending more to fix it then had you just bit the bullet and bought the proper products in the first place. 1k and 2k products generally never work well together and this is heightened when it's cheap products being used.

Every paint company has their cheaper product line and their high end product line. The cheaper line will still get the job done and will look good as long as the prep work is good, proper flash and dry times are followed before applying next product. You just can't expect the finish to last as long as the higher end product.

I have many pictures and videos of razorblading paint off of cars because of incompatible products being used where there is no adhesion. So my advice to all the DIYers out there, spend the money on the proper products and it will save you money and time at the end of the day and you'll be surprised how much easier things can be when painting with the proper products.

That's my rant for the day
Totally agree, you don't save much by messing with junk products. You can only cheap out so much before you get into products that don't really work, or can cause more problems later. Nason is my go to second tier product. It used to be a Dupont product, now Axalta.

Needs15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally agree, you don't save much by messing with junk products. You can only cheap out so much before you get into products that don't really work, or can cause more problems later. Nason is my go to second tier product. It used to be a Dupont product, now Axalta.
Yup same here until up here in Canada they started having binder shortages with Nason. So now I'm trying Montana Big Sky which is another 2nd tier product form Axalta. It seems good so far but haven't had alot of time with it.