Instant orange peel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's not "patience". That's "insanity".

Sometimes you just have to do crappy physical labor. I am not trying to make you feel bad, but passing something like this on to your FIL isn't a fix - you screwed up, then planned to pass the burden on to somebody else.

Somebody always has to suffer to get **** done.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Says you, lol

Just really hate to see guys go through this. I'm on another site where guys have done the rustoleum paint job to some rather high dollar classic cars. Plenty of YouTube vids talking it up about how great it is, but nobody is ever satisfied long term.

Yea, I was on those sites too when the Rustoleum craze was just starting to take off a few years ago. So I tried it on my 1000-gal house propane tank and my Plow truck in the same year. The tank is in the shade of trees and the plow truck spends its time sun tanning. The truck is almost completely shot on the roof and hood while the tank still looks like it was sprayed yesterday. Same mix of thinner and hardener on both projects just different colors (one blue, one green) which shouldnt effect the paint that much. Rustoleum doesnt like UV

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brother I didn't mean it as a slam, but you'll probably be into materials at least $200 by time you're done with Rustoleum primers and spray can paints.
For my project, I had $40 worth of Rustoleum primer and paint, and I used less than half of it. I don't care if it fades, it's a work truck. I was just disappointed that the window won't stick unless I use $100+ worth of paint for the window frame.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sometimes you just have to do crappy physical labor. I am not trying to make you feel bad, but passing something like this on to your FIL isn't a fix - you screwed up, then planned to pass the burden on to somebody else.

Somebody always has to suffer to get **** done.
I don't feel bad at all. FIL suggested it, not me.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This to possibly help somebody that is doing this, not to criticize - basically any single stage paint that will be in the sun needs to have a healthy coat of wax applied (regularly) to protect it.

I am old enough to have been in the industry back when base/clear became popular, and the biggest benefit to clear coat was that it always looked good even if you never did anything to it. Before clear, we spent much time/energy buffing and waxing.

Last edited: