Oil Choice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Surprisingly, the blue shawmen popcorn, pops brilliant white! its pretty cool but its it's also fairly small. they all pop out slightly different shades of white.

with the regular field corn and flour corns, they will grind up and retain most of there color and that's how you get the different colored tortillas.

we love doing that!

Post some pictures next time you do that. I'd love to see that.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a conversation with someone in brazil on a forum about their ethanol use in cars and its from sugar and he says its much more sustainable to use for that(which I believe) but i dont think the climate up north here would allow that, so big corn marches on.
There is one main good thing ethanol in gas has done. Has helped keep moisture on the DL in tanks. Not always, bu8t helped. I beleive it also allows making high octane by virtue of its properties so they can cheap out on making the rest of the gas and then still charge us for it

Hmnmm.. seems we arent winnin that

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used E-10 as my fuel of choice for 45 years. It used to be called "gasohol". The first few months, it was 5% Methanol; but that didn't last long and they switched to 10% Ethanol.

I've used E-10 in Rochester, Holley, Mikuni, Keihin, and Carter-built carburetors, TBI and port fuel injection, and small-engines. Cars, trucks, motorcycles, boat, and weed-wackers and snow-blowers.

It's a fine fuel. It's TERRIBLE food and environmental POLICY. Distilling the corn into alcohol requires an enourmous amount of heat to keep the fermentation vats warm enough for the bacteria to break down the sugars into Ethanol. Ethanol for all practical purposes is a fossil fuel due to the fossil fuels burnt to create the stuff. It's a GMO product, and all the chemicals--pesticides, fertilizer, herbicides, etc. are hard on the land. Corn-for-Ethanol-fuel is an environmental mess.

I've never had a vehicle driveability problem or breakdown I could blame on the Ethanol. I have had a couple of issues I can blame on gas stations that didn't have properly leak-free underground tanks; and a small-engine manufacturer that put some kind of plastic foam in the gas tank that dissolved into the gasoline/Ethanol and made a mess of the carb.

E15 and higher percentages I'm not on board with. They're a disaster in the making. And don't get me started on so-called "E85" for hot-rod use "because it's got great octane numbers." Unless you're buying it by the 55-gallon drum as "Race Gas", E85 is so variable you'll never be able to tune for it. Thus it can only be used successfully in vehicles with alcohol sensors and flex-fuel computers.

I have a theory--unproven--that might explain why folks have corrosion, vehicle breakdowns, rotted rubber hoses, etc. when using E-10. I've had none of that after 45 years. I think some areas of the country are getting toxic waste/industrial sludge mixed-in with the gasoline supply. The contamination is what's causing the problems, but Ethanol gets the blame because folks know about the Ethanol, they aren't being told about the industrial waste.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I've used E-10 as my fuel of choice for 45 years. It used to be called "gasohol". The first few months, it was 5% Methanol; but that didn't last long and they switched to 10% Ethanol.

I've used E-10 in Rochester, Holley, Mikuni, Keihin, and Carter-built carburetors, TBI and port fuel injection, and small-engines. Cars, trucks, motorcycles, boat, and weed-wackers and snow-blowers.

It's a fine fuel. It's TERRIBLE food and environmental POLICY. Distilling the corn into alcohol requires an enourmous amount of heat to keep the fermentation vats warm enough for the bacteria to break down the sugars into Ethanol. Ethanol for all practical purposes is a fossil fuel due to the fossil fuels burnt to create the stuff. It's a GMO product, and all the chemicals--pesticides, fertilizer, herbicides, etc. are hard on the land. Corn-for-Ethanol-fuel is an environmental mess.

I've never had a vehicle driveability problem or breakdown I could blame on the Ethanol. I have had a couple of issues I can blame on gas stations that didn't have properly leak-free underground tanks; and a small-engine manufacturer that put some kind of plastic foam in the gas tank that dissolved into the gasoline/Ethanol and made a mess of the carb.

E15 and higher percentages I'm not on board with. They're a disaster in the making. And don't get me started on so-called "E85" for hot-rod use "because it's got great octane numbers." Unless you're buying it by the 55-gallon drum as "Race Gas", E85 is so variable you'll never be able to tune for it. Thus it can only be used successfully in vehicles with alcohol sensors and flex-fuel computers.

I have a theory--unproven--that might explain why folks have corrosion, vehicle breakdowns, rotted rubber hoses, etc. when using E-10. I've had none of that after 45 years. I think some areas of the country are getting toxic waste/industrial sludge mixed-in with the gasoline supply. The contamination is what's causing the problems, but Ethanol gets the blame because folks know about the Ethanol, they aren't being told about the industrial waste.
You are probably right about that; there's so much the powers that be(whatever affiliation!) don't tell the public. Sometimes if we knew these things, there might be a revolt....
And what these powers that be get away with doing to the poor and working class is downright criminal.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've used E-10 as my fuel of choice for 45 years.

I believe with that opinion, you are a unicorn :crazy:

It used to be called "gasohol".

I remember that.

I believe the problems usually comes with the engines sitting with ethanol in them. I had to buy a new Honda fuel tank for a pressure washer that would not run because the old tank rusted. That was for a former employer, so I didn't have history with the machine when I was charged with fixing it. If the machine is run with ethanol, and stored dry-ish, I don't think there would be a problem.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only the "Govt' is here to help you" crowd could sell an idea that using a food product to make energy is good for you. No other society or culture in history has embraced such a bad decision.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I only use 91 free of ethanol in the GMC because I dont drive it to gas stations I use cans, and the cans we fill for premium for the stuff that calls for it, and longer shelf life.

I also didnt like, leave it sit any excess.

Stock edelbrock filters SUCK. Mine was like, breaking down it was crazy would be a fire if it kept going

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5w30, dont use a Fram filter. No matter what they claim about fixing thier problems they are still glued together garbage.
The NAPA gold is a WIX with a different name.
It seems counterintuative but the more you drive on short runs the more likely you need to change the oil than you do with long runs.
Short trips are brutal on an engine.
And I dont think you get any advantage from synthetic.
You are better off changing the oil and the filter.
If you are driving long trips then maybe you see some advantage from synthetic.
But the every 3000 mile thing is ********.
Thats how they sell more oil.
And keep in mind, if your engine, axle seals, various other leaky parts are mid 94 or older and bone stock.
And they have been replaced.
There are a bunch of TSBs about using synthetic anything.
The synthetic eats the silicon seals and makes a leak.