Oil Choice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I forget what's current, but last I checked the high mileage was just a couple specs behind so would correspond with a motor built around that time and have some miles on it.

That sounds like you just found some oil oil forsale, to me. There's no need to use the oil that was speced when an engine was new. If that were the case, miles would not be the metric to use.... a newer engine can have higher miles than an old engine.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with the you, but my last 2 vehicles the manual and/or the oil life monitor require changes at 12 months. I plan on changing when required even though I'm unlikely to actually need it per an analysis. In the end, oil is cheaper than engines.
damn straight
plus gm oil life monitors shouldnt be relied on generally

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That sounds like you just found some oil oil forsale, to me. There's no need to use the oil that was speced when an engine was new. If that were the case, miles would not be the metric to use.... a newer engine can have higher miles than an old engine.

Miles are an easy metric for a customer to use, just like oil weight. Actual viscosity is measured in centistokes, and each oil weight has a corresponding range of cSt that apply to it. I could dig deeper to see if I'm right, but to me miles are easier for the average r3t@rd to comprehend than what oil spec is pertinent to their car and manufacturers love to market their stuff to the lowest common denominator, so it doesn't sound far fetched to me.

Edit: Just did a quick search and didn't see what I was after. Maybe I'm half right and the additives the HM oil has knock it back a spec or 2, this making that more of a second order effect.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Our 4 cyl Equinox had fuel pressure problems if we let the oil go beyond 3000 miles. The oil is used in the coupling drive for the high pressure fuel pump on the end of the cam. Go beyond 3K and fuel pressure drops. Change at 3K and never had a problem.
I buy the NAPA bay boxes for oil, a little over a buck cheaper per quart.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your right @98chevy2500SS that's the guy! this is the first video I ever seen of him. someone was wondering if the oil on their shelf would go bad in 6 months and was afraid to use it.

well once upon a time I had a 94 burb and it leak oil like crazy. one day it was down quite a bit and I didnt have any.

well my FIL shows up with a crate of antique imperial oil quarts in cans. no spec listed. I poured some in a jar and then topped up my oil with it!

anyways this is a quakerstate but it is from the same era! LMAO

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That’s amazing!

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve using Pennzoil full synthetic and it’s that time. About 3k ago it was $22.00 for 5qt. jug, today it was $26.00. I don’t need to remind everyone of the insanity across the board lately, so I bought some Super Tech Full Synthetic 5w40 @ $18.00/5qts.
You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I just get oil from whatever parts store has it on sale. I can usually get M1 "full synthetic" for $35/jug with an M1/K&N/Wix filter.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
that's such a crazy video that blew my mind. LMAO

I have to remember to ask my FIL if he has anymore of the old imperial oil, canned oil. I think they called it Marvelube or something like that.

Imperial oil was born in the late 1800's in my hometown. a tiny ass little town and then they moved the refinery to Sarnia and on the shores of the St. Clair River.

theres so much petroleum history all around me.... I definitely like to support my local economy and it's nice to know that they are making superior products, the best in the business and all of the major players are right here.

they are also all connected to Line 5 and share feedstocks..... if they shut down that line without an alternative route, we're royally screwed.

they are still talking about it and nothing is resolved.