5.3 clean dirty oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jksconny

Reaction score
I heard that amsoil use in some Honda cycle engines would also allow cylinder scoring because the tolerances were to tight if that makes sense. However I run amsoil in all my two stroke engines 50/1 no matter if chainsaw or boat motor to weed whip. Never will use anything else one and done

Jksconny

Reaction score
Be very careful about aggressive cleaning products. All that gunk has to go somewhere and has the potential to clog the oil pickup. I second the frequent oil changes as a solution.

Having said that, I dumped a half can of seafoam in the Tahoe and the oil filter felt at least twice as heavy as any filter I have ever changed before. Engine is still running. I kinda wanted it to die though.
Yeah, I like to have things clean and proper but have ruined things trying to give it what I thought was (good medicine). I ruined a transmission that had some pretty dark old tranny fluid even though it shifted well buy changing filter and pumping new tranny fluid in while running it to get rid of old. All that clean fluid with detergent loosend up stuff that had been hiding without hurting. It was a learning experience

Jksconny

Reaction score
I have used ATF in my "old" days but now I use Sea Foam when is warranted. Hell, before O2 sensors and cats, I used to use ATF down a vacuum hose to help clean valves and such. Made for a really great smoke ball at back of vehicle. Even had the cops show one time thinking there was a fire as they had driven by the shop I was in. Good times...
I heard that the good old boys would shoot some diesel down in there and that cleaned it up good

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How long of a idle with 4 qt atf?
The first time i let it idle about a couple hours.
The next time was about an hour.
I used EFI Live to raise the idle to 1500rpms and just let it do its thing.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard that amsoil use in some Honda cycle engines would also allow cylinder scoring because the tolerances were to tight if that makes sense. However I run amsoil in all my two stroke engines 50/1 no matter if chainsaw or boat motor to weed whip. Never will use anything else one and done
Anyone that knows about air cooled engines knows what thermal shock is. Thermal shock is a condition that happens when an engine has been running under load and you chop the throttle abruptly. The cylinder cools and contracts before the piston does and the engine actually seizes or tries to seize. That's also where most of your piston skirt galling happens. Temp. controlled water cooled engines under normal conditions won't ever have this problem but you can still gall piston skirts flogging an engine before it comes up to temp. The guys I built those strokers for would jump on their bikes and run 100+mph then chop the throttle and do burn outs with cold motors. Seems the VR1 with its high zinc content helped fix stupid but the Amsoil motorcycle oil couldn't hold up.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Next question, how do you do an oil analysis?
You are probably looking to Blackstone for that. I'm in Scotland and use a different provider. What I get is syringe with a cap that accepts a pipe that goes down the dipstick hole. Draw oil into the syringe then swap caps and then post to the lab after filling in the form that gives the necessary info to them (age of oil, etc) then sit back and wait for the results.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bunch of ATF makes me nervous, it does have a bunch of detergents but as mentioned it’s not a great lubricant.

On sludgey engines I run a quart of marvel mystery oil and cheap oil for the first 3 oil changes. Change about 500-1000 miles. Then I put a half quart in about 500 miles before a regularly scheduled oil change. It does a good job getting the junk out, unsticking lifters and it’s proven safe to use in an engine.

We have a 300k mile Toyota at work that sat for 15 years. I now get normal looking dirty oil at the 3000 mile interval. It looked like diesel oil and clattered for awhile.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oil change intervals get sooner as the engine gets more miles. Rule of thumb is when you pull the stick and you can't see it through the oil it's time to change it.
It would take me unknown gallons of oil to do that. I change oil, start it and shut down and my oil is black again no matter how long I let it drain.