OBS rear axle width

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what to measure between and what the measurement should be for a 2wd vs 4wd rear axle on an OBS, say 96 or so?

Thanks

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

jdoggystyle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
from drum to drum I believe it to be 6 feet 2 inches on 4wd rear axle and 6 feet on 2wd if I remember correctly funny way I found out was I blew my gears out of my rear differential and pulled a $90 full axle assembly from pullapart of a 2wd and it didn't seem right to me so I measured and sure enough the 2wd was 2 inches shorter from drum to drum than the 4wd axle.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
I thought when I measured the difference before they were 3" difference. I can give you an exact measurement tomorrow.

BigWaveDaveAZ

Reaction score
65" for 2wd. 68" for 4wd in most cases.
Is 65" measured from brake drum mounting surface??
I have a narrowed rear end in my Tahoe and can't figure out how much more narrow it is than a stock rear end. I want to replace it with the stock width.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep in mind that duallys, vans and C&C/Utility trucks have odd sized axles. And if you are looking for a 14bSF then you can't swap 8 to 6 lug because the drums are different sizes and won't work on the other housing.

BigWaveDaveAZ

Reaction score
Keep in mind that duallys, vans and C&C/Utility trucks have odd sized axles. And if you are looking for a 14bSF then you can't swap 8 to 6 lug because the drums are different sizes and won't work on the other housing.
Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.
I have a 2dr 2 wd Tahoe with a narrowed tear end, I'm looking to swap back to a stock width rear end. Also wanting to know if a 4dr 2wd is the same width as the 2dr 2wd.