Northstar Swap/Vortec 4200 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Wet manifolds have fuel traveling with the air and the fuel is heavier and sticks to sharp bends.

Dry manifolds are just air with the fuel injected at the ports. They can get away with more dynamic intake runner designs.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do not know if that is a good or bad thing but as far as I know that is the only 4 barrel intake on the market for the gen vii big block

The only way to get one of those is used now. Dart quit making them a year or two ago. Not sure why, because they always had a long back order between production runs.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
The only way to get one of those is used now. Dart quit making them a year or two ago. Not sure why, because they always had a long back order between production runs.
that sucks that they do not make them any more I can not wrap my head around ending production on some thing that clearly had demand if it was on back order all the time maybe some one will come up with some thing again in the future

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have supercharged Detroit 2 stroke diesels for the firewater pumps at work, test them once a year....you know when they are running!!! Sound wicked!!!

The blowers are not really superchargers on a 2-stroke Detroit. They need the blower to breathe at all.

Well......learn something new everyday!!!
That's interesting.

Hello DC,

I remember trying to figure out how a "2-stroke" Detroit Diesel operated. I remember thinking
that a 4-stroke was like a vacuum tube (intuitive, made sense) ...while the blown 2-stroke DD was
like transistor theory. (I could see/hear that they worked, but had a tough time grokking/believing
the underlying theory of operation. :0)

Check this out. Thanks to a WWII-era Periscope Film, it all snapped neatly into focus. I now actually
believe the underlying theory of these amazing machines. For those in a hurry, the attached photos
show where you can jump straight to the skinny on the 2-stroke engines...but for the full effect I
recommend you watch the entire video:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

@Scooterwrench , why go with brand C's 4-stroke hemi elephant when you can stuff one of the General's
2-stroke Mastodons into the engine bay?

You only live once...

:0)

Attachments

• 2-stroke Detroit Diesel (Periscope Films) GENERAL MOTORS DIESEL THE MODERN POWER DIESEL.jpg
    2-stroke Detroit Diesel (Periscope Films) GENERAL MOTORS DIESEL THE MODERN POWER DIESEL.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 2 stroke Detroit Diesel intake relocated to bottom of stroke.jpg
    2 stroke Detroit Diesel intake relocated to bottom of stroke.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 2 stroke Detroit Diesel curved rotors for lower noise.jpg
    2 stroke Detroit Diesel curved rotors for lower noise.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 2-stroke Detroit Diesel case machining in deep.jpg
    2-stroke Detroit Diesel case machining in deep.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 2-stroke Detroit Diesel blower in action.jpg
    2-stroke Detroit Diesel blower in action.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Due to the revised intake port locations on the 8.1L.

Works great with a barrel-ram intake--runners in the heads are symmetrical. Looks pretty "iffy" with a wet, dual-plane manifold.

I dunno, the 8.1L carb manifold has always reminded me of a Cleveland or LS carb manifold. The 8.1L carb manifold works well as do the other two.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Was curious about possibly swapping a Northstar into my 94 Chevy, if there were any kits for them? I doubt it but doesn't hurt to ask.

I've also been interested in a turbo 4200 6 for it. I love the way they sound and it wouldn't be a huge departure from GM's history with straight 6s.
Points for thinking outside the box but hopefully you've been dissuaded from that Northstar nightmare.

I have a wicked'r thoughts of 3rd Gen Hemi!!!
But I think the yote would garner more hatred!!! Lol
When I bought back the wrecked 300 SRT8 from my buddy I was halfass looking for a nice gmt400 project that needed an engine. I would have had to fab a LOT to make it work, but who wouldn't love 425hp (stock) under the hood? Plenty of upgrade path as well, but Mopar goodies cost a small fortune compared to LS, so unless you want to burn the wallet and attached bank account....

Only thing better than a screaming Detroit is one with the air starter. We had a truck parked next to a factory I worked in years ago and there was something about the sound of an air starter followed by the 8V71 Detroit every morning that just sat right with me.
(fires up Road Warrior and watches the scene over and over where he's struggling to get the old Mack started) don't believe it's a Detroit but gotta love that air starter action

What about an 8.1 you don't see them much and nice amount of torque
Just today saw an an for a 2001 3500HD with the 8.1/NV4500, only 44K miles and $2500. Says the back half of the frame is rusted and has title issues (signed, not transferred) so it's pretty much a parts truck - but WOW 44K 8.1/NV4500 and associated other goodies, what a steal! It's in TN so I fired the ad off to my little brother that lives there.. unfortunately it's a 14hr round trip from him!! Somebody in the area where KY / TN / WV / VA / NC all meet up.. this truck is in Blountville TN (near Johnson City) and seems like a real winner for the money. Talk about a killer donor truck for a swap, then plenty of HD-specific parts left over to sell to recoup investment: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/279446148247294/

Richard