New motor or rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsnow36318

Reaction score
FYI if it was mine Id find the best engine builder where you live .Its always easy to go bigger, but talk to the builder & maybe you couls make a nice stroker with the right cam & injection package

Ehh i think if i was gonna put that kinda money in it it wouldn't be in this truck. Lol i think from what I've learned here. I need to rebuild a stock 5.7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What gears are you running? A lot of these trucks run 308s, not so good for towing. Also what size tires you going to run? 373s are a lot better for pulling

jsnow36318

Reaction score
What gears are you running? A lot of these trucks run 308s, not so good for towing. Also what size tires you going to run? 373s are a lot better for pulling

Im not sure what gears it has. I bought it for 500$ from a dealership with a completely ****** steering system, besides cyl 3 being 10 psi low and cylinder 8 being 7 psi low it has tons of vacuum leaks and oil leaks and looses coolant. But i think its a pinhole in the rad.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The RPO codes in the glove box will tell you, if it still has the OE rear end. You can jack up the rear end ( both tires off the ground) , mark a line that you can see on the drive shaft, then spin the tires. One tire spin will be (X ) on the drive shaft. 308S will be three.eaight revelitions of the drive shaft for every one revelation of the tire. 342S----3.42 revelations 373s----- 3.73 revelations .

jsnow36318

Reaction score
The RPO codes in the glove box will tell you, if it still has the OE rear end. You can jack up the rear end ( both tires off the ground) , mark a line that you can see on the drive shaft, then spin the tires. One tire spin will be (X ) on the drive shaft. 308S will be three.eaight revelitions of the drive shaft for every one revelation of the tire. 342S----3.42 revelations 373s----- 3.73 revelations .

Its snowing outside so yeah ill have to take a raincheck on that. Lol

HopHead357

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide this as well. '99 has 203K and is very tired. Pinging like crazy any time it goes up a hill.

I'll probably throw a crate L31 in and call it a day.