97 c2500 motor swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dawsonrock123

Reaction score
I have a 97 c2500 with the 5.7 350, nothing is wrong with the motor majorly but I'm wanting to either put a crate motor in or rebuild the one I have, what's the best/easiest option here and if I were to buy a new motor what should I put in it that would bolt right up to motor mounts and trans

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're wanting a drop-in, you'll want to make sure whatever small block you buy has Vortec heads or the factory intake won't bolt on. If you're shopping reputable builders, a "Vortec" engine will ensure you get a one-piece rear main and Vortec heads.

If you rebuild it yourself, have you ever built a motor? If not, do you have a mentor who has who can work with you 100% of the time while you rebuild it?

I have family down in Altus, but I don't think any of them have ever put together a small block.

Dawsonrock123

Reaction score
If you're wanting a drop-in, you'll want to make sure whatever small block you buy has Vortec heads or the factory intake won't bolt on. If you're shopping reputable builders, a "Vortec" engine will ensure you get a one-piece rear main and Vortec heads.

If you rebuild it yourself, have you ever built a motor? If not, do you have a mentor who has who can work with you 100% of the time while you rebuild it?

I have family down in Altus, but I don't think any of them have ever put together a small block.
I've decided to just rebuild it and I have messed around with motors a little over the years but don't know very much. I planned on hiring someone to watch over me while I do it bc I want to learn how to do it without ******* up my motor

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
With limited knowledge and experience, I am also assuming you have limited tools assortment. One basic thing would be a quality torque wrench. Do you have one? There are other tools but that is a start of what to expect to use. "Hiring someone to watch over you" means????? Just watch and advise? Supply tools assortment? You will need a clean environment and patience. I have done a few SBC engines over the years and now I would just buy one from Jasper Engines. Great warranty and can have it built completely stock or as you wish. They also sell kits for hoses, belts, etc...... But, if you choose to do it yourself, check and double check along the way because having to go back in the engine, is no fun. Good luck.