New motor or rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't like a 5.3L but thats me. If your going to do an LS swap, then put a 6.0L or a 6.2L. The 5.7L is the most versatile engine GM ever built. The last GM 5.7L (350s) are very dependable. If you are doing BMWs, there is no reason you cant do a 5.7L They are a simple design, that was first introduced in the 1950s.

jsnow36318

Reaction score
This is my first vortec engine, my second chevy. So this is all new to me. Ive been a bmw guy since high school. But you gotta have a toyhauler right? Lol so since ill be rebuilding the 5.7 what can i do while im in there to make it a bit more powerful any cams that are a direct bolt in? What kind of tunes work best? Exhaust? It has a cracked manifold as well. So ill be doing that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The aftermarket support for a (350) 5.7 L is massive. Any cam you put, means you will need a custom tune. Black bear can hook you up. In the old days, the magic number for a 350 was a 292 cam, and 202 heads. I comes down to this, what do you want out of the truck, and how fast or how powerful do you want it to be. As for exhaust, any thing that is free flowing will help. As I'm sure you already know, everything works together. Heads, cam exhaust, tune, ect.

Last edited:

jsnow36318

Reaction score
I see stuff about black bear everywhere so that must be the way to go. Yea i realize any hard mods require soft mods. As for the cam im looking for that lopey idle and a bit more torque around 1200 rpm. Its got true dual already. But would nice headers help or stock manifolds work just as good (performance not sound) i dont want to go crazy but since im in there lol

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Lopey and torque don't go together. The lopey sound you hear is the engine literally running like crap at low rpm.

If it's going to be for towing. You'll want to use a cam that makes more torque down low. If you are dead set on lope and towing it can be done just ill advised.

Check out the Howard racing catalog. It has the cams intended uses and the idle characteristics listed.

Headers are a great performance option regardless if you want to build for torque or horsepower.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have Summit shortys on my 97 ,,5.7L I find they help on low end power, but not much above about 4000 RPMs. Also ifyou haven't done it already, check out the throttle blade mod. Just type in throttle blade mod on you tube. It shows a lot of 4.3L, but it is all the same mod.

jsnow36318

Reaction score
Lopey and torque don't go together. The lopey sound you hear is the engine literally running like crap at low rpm.

If it's going to be for towing. You'll want to use a cam that makes more torque down low. If you are dead set on lope and towing it can be done just ill advised.

Check out the Howard racing catalog. It has the cams intended uses and the idle characteristics listed.

Headers are a great performance option regardless if you want to build for torque or horsepower.

I rarely tow. But i need a lot of low end yes. Not so much top end. That's unfortunate because i love that sound. Lol. So maybe a cam is not the way to go

dryslk

Reaction score
FYI if it was mine Id find the best engine builder where you live .Its always easy to go bigger, but talk to the builder & maybe you couls make a nice stroker with the right cam & injection package

dryslk

Reaction score
FYI if it was mine Id find the best engine builder where you live .Its always easy to go bigger, but talk to the builder & maybe you couls make a nice stroker with the right cam & injection package