New L31 - HT383 Cam - COMP Cams 1418-16 Roller Rockers - Rubbing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m002922

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally getting my new engine put in with all the goodies.

The one place I deviated was I went with the Comp Cams rockers

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-1418-16/overview/

vs

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/scc-scp1036?rrec=true

which I had seen recommended.

I went with the Comp Cams because from the reviews and comments on Summit it didn't seem like there were any issues with these working with the L31 (hindsight being 20-20, maybe they work fine with an L31 with a stock cam, but not with the HT383) . . . and they were a bit cheaper, but adequate for my purposes.

Well, the Comp Cams rockers make the push rods rub in the guide holes. I would figure a self-aligning 1.6 rocker is a self-aligning 1.6 rocker . . . but then again, maybe what I bought aren't self-aligning (even though one of the answered questions says they are).

Anyone know for sure why these didn't work?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm no help on your specific issue, but for what it's worth I used a set of standard Scorpion 1.5s for the 400 SBC in my Monte Carlo. They worked great.

m002922

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
We put the stock 1.5s back on there and everything seems to work fine - everything dead-center of the hole.

So for now that is what I'm going with until I figure this out . . . maybe I'll end up with 1.5 rollers. I appreciate the input.

Everyone of the pushrods was hitting with the 1.6s on there. I believe I've confirmed I have the right part - the 1418 - they didn't send me the wrong part. After staring at the rockers pictures side by side for about an hour I figured out the difference was the little tabs that extend past the roller on the self-adjusting rockers.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder if it's possible that the 1.6s need a different length pushrod to work properly... I'm far from an expert on this stuff, just thinking out loud.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I had to hog out my pushrod holes on my 1500 for the Comp Pro Magnum 1.6s to not rub. Let me guess: they're rubbing on the side of the hole that faces the rocker stud?

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1.6 ratio rockers move the pushrod cup on the rocker closer to the pivot ball than a stock 1.5 ratio. That's how the increased ratio is achieved. It's normal to have to enlarge the guide hole with 1.6 ratio rockers.

m002922

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supercharged111 - you are correct.

arrg - I read everything I thought I could read on this engine combination and don't recall anyone saying that guide hole *********** was necessary for 1.6s . . . no one buying them on Summit mentioned it, despite multiple people putting them on L31s. Comp cams didn't mention it either - but obviously its necessary.

Not sure I want enlarge the guide holes with the engine installed and the likely possibility of metal going down the holes . . . even with a vacuum on the scene not sure that is the best idea. That said, it is a miniscule amount of metal that needs to be removed - I'll have to think on that for a bit.

Thanks for the input.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have had 3 sets of 1.6s on Vortec engines without rubbing. The only ones that rubbed were 1.7 ratio. 1/2" drill bit works great. If you pull the heads grab 0.016" compressed steel shim head gaskets.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Or you can return those rockers and get a set of scorpion 1.6 full rollers. Much much better hardware man.