My 97 3/4 ton 454... anything else i need or should do ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpoL98

Reaction score
I went with B&M. Kinda a traditional style, not high tech.

get a new gasket. I went with a replacement plastic gasket with the embedded molded-in o-ring. you might not be able to re-use the stock bolts due to the increased thickness of the pan, I can't remember if the pan came with bolts or not, but I bought socket-head cap screws (allen-head bolts). Sorry, can't remember the length, might've been 2 or 3 different bolt lengths, depending on if it was a blind hole, through-hole, bracket-mounting, etc..

You must be registered for see images attach

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
So what brand deep trans pan you guys recommend? Sorry for asking any stupid questions but i want to get it right the first time.
Mag hytec has some good deep trans pans and dig covers, they’re a little pricy but work well, i had one on my 02 duramax

rpoL98

Reaction score
Could you guys tell a difference before and after?
on all the vehicles I put a deep trans pan on, I can't tell a immediate performance difference, but the main reason for doing it is the extra capacity, reduced fluid temp (due to the capacity & fins, not measured with a gauge), and reduced fluid temp leads to longer fluid life, longer trans life.

so no, it's not like headers which give you immediately noticeable 10% more rear wheel horsepower.

just my 2 cents.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Understand two things:

1. The OP doesn't need a "deep pan". The OEM "stock" pan is ENTIRELY satisfactory as-is. A deep pan in his application is a total waste of time, money, effort, and enthusiasm. But it does look cool, and provides some bragging rights. In the usage envisioned by the OP, a deep pan is purely cosmetic.

2. Everything the OP is asking about is something that makes the vehicle "go". "Go" is the least important thing the vehicle does. "Stop" and "steer" are both far more important. Please re-read my previous post.
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/my-9...-else-i-need-or-should-do.46579/#post-1068136

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Understand two things:

1. The OP doesn't need a "deep pan". The OEM "stock" pan is ENTIRELY satisfactory as-is. A deep pan in his application is a total waste of time, money, effort, and enthusiasm. But it does look cool, and provides some bragging rights. In the usage envisioned by the OP, a deep pan is purely cosmetic.

2. Everything the OP is asking about is something that makes the vehicle "go". "Go" is the least important thing the vehicle does. "Stop" and "steer" are both far more important. Please re-read my previous post.
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/my-9...-else-i-need-or-should-do.46579/#post-1068136

Just because we're not beating the same drum doesn't mean we all don't hear you over there.

We all have ideas, it's OPs decision to put his big boy pants on and pick what he needs/wants.

He's owned the truck damn-near 2yrs. If it was about to fall apart somewhere he should know by now.

Last edited:

Jermaine Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've owned the for 2 years. Just now getting serious about towing my camaro with the truck tho. Truck runs decent without a load and i want to make sure it runs decent pulling a load.....

Jermaine Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
However, today i decided as far as a trans temp gauge that im going to go with one from Speedhut. They the ONLY aftermarket trans temp gauge on the market that have a life time warranty and that have a built in warning light. Also they are fully customizable to boot and they have a 5 star rating as well.