My 97 3/4 ton 454... anything else i need or should do ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My 1500 has a stock pan and stock aux cooler. With a trans temp sender in the test port, my trans runs about 150 in the summer and 165-180 with the trailer. I don't feel the need to upgrade it's cooling, but it stays that cool because, the way the PCM is tuned, the converter stays locked.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 1500 has a stock pan and stock aux cooler. With a trans temp sender in the test port, my trans runs about 150 in the summer and 165-180 with the trailer. I don't feel the need to upgrade it's cooling, but it stays that cool because, the way the PCM is tuned, the converter stays locked.
That seems a bit cool. Might grab an IR temp gun and check it. Trans should be about engine temp. The pan will reflect the temp. The radiator cools the trans and engine so that's typically where the trans operates. The engine heat exchanger should be left in the circuit for winter use. Cold weather is rough on transmissions. Any additional coolers should be in series with the radiator. This isn't necessary in summer, but is in winter. Hayden makes a temp sensitive bypass valve that's a nice addition if using accessory trans coolers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
According to this, under 200 is a good thing.

You must be registered for see images attach

That said, I'm sure plenty of transmissions go a long time at 200. Seeing how my cooling system is all stock, I have my doubts that it's too cool.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to say I watched a video with a GM engineer that said the "Ideal number for trans fluid temp" was 186 or 176 if towing. You don't want to hit 200.

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It probably doesn't apply to the loads Jeramine is contemplating, but I will say the 5100 series Bilsteins I used (same basic specs as the 4600 series linked earlier) were fine with no load but dangerous under full load and completely unable to control my springs. I might as well have been driving without any shocks at all. Junked them and installed Monroe's that work great.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
According to a Bilstein rep, the main difference in valving pertains to increased rebound control on our trucks. They do that to compensate for a cranked torsion bar.