My 97 3/4 ton 454... anything else i need or should do ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely do a 0411 and do a tune. Either DIY or put it on a DYNO if you have access to one.

I've done my own, and with Christian's help I've dabbled in other things. But, truck is MUCH more lively and stronger now that I've got my shift points down and have a nice PE fueling curve. You won't be avoiding gas stations... but you won't have any trouble with power and you may even forget about the Whipple (unless you get a good deal, then that's a no-brainer).

Also, if you're doing a cam, RPOL98 is the second person I've seen online that has done that rocker and stud combo and has stuck with it. In fact it's on an Amazon wish list of mine to piece together when the wife ain't looking :p

Oh, and gap to .045. it's been DYNO-proven to push back misfires on RVs. I even tried going with .050 with MSD... I still got misfires and random bogs until I went .045. ACdelco 41-902 is what I use.

A tune does make a decent difference. It won't do what a Whipple will but it helps. Factory timing table sucks and the PE is delayed for eternity. Transmission tuning has some room for improvement too.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
CC1411's roller-tip rockers under stock valve covers, no double gaskets or other shenanigans. ARP 135-7102 conversion studs (3/8" bottom, 7/16" top), ARP Perma-loc adjuster nuts which are 1.200" tall. Reason for the 1.2" tall poly-locks is the top of the rocker pivot ball is lower than your normal roller rocker trunion flat.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach
What's your pushrod length? Stock?

rpoL98

Reaction score
What's your pushrod length? Stock?
yes, re-used the stock pushrods. Difficult to upgrade the pushrods to 3/8" because the L29 Vortec guideplates are kind of unique, due to the bottom of the rocker stud being 3/8, not 7/16. The top part of the ARP conversion rocker stud is 7/16, normal. I can't find BBC guideplates that are for 3/8" bottomed studs. So you're stuck with reusing the stock L29 pushrod guideplates with the slots for 5/16" pushrods, limiting you to the stock L29-sized pushrods.

The L29 5/16" pushrods are readily available (e.g. RockAuto) if you're inclined to do new pushrods with the rocker arm replacement. It is recommended.

rpoL98

Reaction score
Pushrods and guideplates are 3/8" for 1998 - 2000.
yeah, mine is a 1997. I did a bit of looking, and couldn't find a source for 1998-2000 7.4L guideplates. Tried RockAuto, SummitRacing.

Oh well, luck of the draw.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes, re-used the stock pushrods. Difficult to upgrade the pushrods to 3/8" because the L29 Vortec guideplates are kind of unique, due to the bottom of the rocker stud being 3/8, not 7/16. The top part of the ARP conversion rocker stud is 7/16, normal. I can't find BBC guideplates that are for 3/8" bottomed studs. So you're stuck with reusing the stock L29 pushrod guideplates with the slots for 5/16" pushrods, limiting you to the stock L29-sized pushrods.

The L29 5/16" pushrods are readily available (e.g. RockAuto) if you're inclined to do new pushrods with the rocker arm replacement. It is recommended.
GM Performance offers the 3/8 guideplates. I bought mine from Nalle Chevy (sp?). Comp Cams also offers studs for adjustable rocker conversion.
Be careful with height.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
yes, re-used the stock pushrods. Difficult to upgrade the pushrods to 3/8" because the L29 Vortec guideplates are kind of unique...

They're not unique. They're the same plates as used by the earlier engines.... MkIV, I Think. I've got some in the garage from the extra set of heads I bought, and wondered why I got Gen VI heads with early guide plates. I found my answer in one of the Big Block Chevy books on the market.

rpoL98

Reaction score
GM Performance offers the 3/8 guideplates. I bought mine from Nalle Chevy (sp?). Comp Cams also offers studs for adjustable rocker conversion.
Be careful with height.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

found them. GM 12562369, available from Summit, GM Performance Parts, GM Parts Store. Summit description says 3/8" pushrods, 3/8" stud hole. Funny, the Summit comments have a whole bunch of folks complaining that the bolt hole doesn't fit the usual 7/16" stud.

If only I had this information 7 years ago!

Jermaine Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So what brand deep trans pan you guys recommend? Sorry for asking any stupid questions but i want to get it right the first time.