More horsepower and torque?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The big beast!

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks man that makes more sense to me! I'm looking to get about 75hp nothing to big I just want a little more power in my DD, I'm looking at theys heads and cam http://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performance/809/12558060/10002/-1. http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/3702/10002/-1
The TBI is not the most powerful engine, the heads hold it back lots, a cam would help it, a prom (all or most vehicles older than 1996 have OBD1 computers which are far less complicated than the OBD2 systems and have little to no compadibility. PROMs are for OBD1 Computers (a little chip that is swapped out) OBD2 computers can be tuned with or without changing the Entire Computer) prom wouldnt do much without the cam/heads .ect

The Big 3 are something good to start With.
I believe its a sticky under performance

What are you looking to spend, And what are you looking to Gain?

For example you want to spend 500$ and get better Low end torque.
I would Suggest Possibly a regear (depending what gears and tires you have already)
Higher Stall TC
E-Fans
Throttle body Spacer (just to keep the thread goin)
New Air Cleaner

I would not suggest Headers because they do move the torque band up, Yes more torque but its not available down low where it was before.
A little better Flowing Exhaust will help it breathe a bit better but its more for the sound (may as well let them know it is a 350 under there)

Its all about what you want to get out of it and what you want to spend.
If your Looking to spend More then i'd get into Heads (vortec heads and a mariene intake with A longer Duration Cam and full roller rockers, If it were me..)

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll still need a new chip for that? Damn I'll have to start asking around then, because I don't have the software.

I have said it numerous times in this thread, if you change cam and heads you will have to get a PROM burned for that setup, I have gone though all this before, thats why I don't get why you don't do what is simple, easy, or free first then go from there.

1sick92

Reaction score
I have a 92 gmc 350tbi and i get 9/14 mpg how do you get 21mpg i don't know what to assume other then my speedometer being fast 10mph

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
You won't get 21. It is essentially an impossible number.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The best I ever got was 19mpg highway. Before the new wheel combo. Now Im lucky to get 17mpg highway. But Ive been getting consistant 14.0mpg around town without trying.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Most people don't realize that they are getting lower fuel economy than calculated due to speedometer inaccuracies. Nearly every factory speedo reads around 10% faster than the actual speed. This means when you think you have gone 300 miles you have likely gone 270 or less. Obviously that means the fuel mileage is 10% less than what you think you are getting. If you calculate 30mpgs by the odo/trip reading then the realistic figure is closer to 25-27mpgs. At the same time, if you go with tires in excess of 10% larger than stock you will be traveling farther than the odo/trip reads. This means you actually got more mpgs than you calculated. This also means the odo will not be accurate as far as service intervals and total vehicle mileage.

beast94

Reaction score
Thanks man that makes more sense to me! I'm looking to get about 75hp nothing to big I just want a little more power in my DD, I'm looking at theys heads and cam http://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performance/809/12558060/10002/-1. http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/3702/10002/-1

Vortec heads are a great way to go in order to improve power and fuel economy. I would look for a different cam though. The cam you picked has too large of a gap from the intake to the exhaust. I would look for a dual pattern cam (like you picked out) with more lift and duration on the intake. OR find a cam that has less lift and duration on the exhaust. Too large of a gap on the exhaust side, coupled with a decent exhaust system will only hurt power and efficiency by drawing too much of your intake charge out the exhaust during valve overlap.