More horsepower and torque?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Vortec heads are a great way to go in order to improve power and fuel economy. I would look for a different cam though. The cam you picked has too large of a gap from the intake to the exhaust. I would look for a dual pattern cam (like you picked out) with more lift and duration on the intake. OR find a cam that has less lift and duration on the exhaust. Too large of a gap on the exhaust side, coupled with a decent exhaust system will only hurt power and efficiency by drawing too much of your intake charge out the exhaust during valve overlap.

Vortecs have a great intake port and an ok exhaust port. A split pattern with more lift & duration on the exhaust definitely helps power. The cam he chose isn't bad...but I also agree a stock LT1 cam is the way to go. That' what I put in mine: 204/207 .447/.459 117.

92gmcshorty

Reaction score
best way to make something that big have more power is....... big block. the amount of money to get what you want out of the small block you can drop in a stock 454 and have plenty of power. but all the suggestions are good ones

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
You can make big, big power out of a small block for a lot less than you can make big power out of a big block. Stock 454s are pretty sluggish, it takes some upgrades to get them to rev. A small block revs decent stock and you can buy a whole lot of go fast goodies for what it would cost to swap in a fuel injected big block.

You can make more power out of a big block than you can a small block, but there is a lot more money involved.

Balzer

and Mean Girl *truck*
Reaction score
WOW sorry I only read the first 3 pages and it was a bunch of arguing about OBDII witch a 95 is NOT!

Dont want to read through the BS so I will list some things on the cheap side for a bit more power.

Underdrive pullys. *someone said it kills your altenator, Thats funny! both sets of underdrives I have used didnt change the alt pully only the waterpump power steering pullys, also alts work no matter the speed otherwise you would have to drive a certian speed all the time*
Electric fans *doesnt make HP just frees some up*
better exhaust
a chip *even generic ones help a bit*

Now the next few only help if you do them all together.
adjustable FP regulator
throttle body spacer
space the injector tower up using another stock plastic spacer (2 stacked spacers)
removing the lip around the top of the throttle body and polishing the venturi
better injectors
slightly cooler thermostat
slightly hotter plugs
true CAI
(doing all of the above all at once will give you a noticable change, doing it one at a time you probably wont ever notice the difference)

Further note on TBI engines. A lot of people claim the TBI heads are what holds them back but they are not terrible heads not great but not that bad either. The true downfall of TBI is the actual TBI injection itself. GM rates the TBI injection at 220hp and honestly thats about what it will support without mods.

People can tell you all sorts of different things but it really comes down to your truck its self. Sad fact is that quality control wasnt that great in the TBI era.
1 truck could roll off the line running at its absolute best ability and the next truck off the line could be as detuned as can be. What I am saying is just because 1 guy did something to his truck and saw no change doesnt mean that everone will see the same results.

Just for an example I will use my moms 94 1500 ecsb. A while back the fuel pump started to whine pretty loud so we wanted to change it so it wouldnt leave mom stranded in the cold. In the process we checked the fuel pressure and it was at 7 lbs. we put the new pump in and checked the pressure again and it ws still at 7 pounds. (you can make a stock pressure regulator adjustable if you know what your doing) Turns out the pressure regulator was screwed down to 7 pounds we modified it and adjusted it up to 14 pounds and its a TOTALLY differnt truck! It runs better than it has ever run. BUT I highly doubt that every 94, or every TBI truck will respod the same way.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
From what I remember with your cam specs, that is where the torque band shifted...not the long tubes.

nope, cam was done way before the tubes.. but there was a little shift there for me, so it would be diferent for others.

WOW sorry I only read the first 3 pages and it was a bunch of arguing about OBDII witch a 95 is NOT!

Dont want to read through the BS so I will list some things on the cheap side for a bit more power.

Underdrive pullys. *someone said it kills your altenator, Thats funny! both sets of underdrives I have used didnt change the alt pully only the waterpump power steering pullys, also alts work no matter the speed otherwise you would have to drive a certian speed all the time*
Electric fans *doesnt make HP just frees some up*
better exhaust
a chip *even generic ones help a bit*

Now the next few only help if you do them all together.
adjustable FP regulator
throttle body spacer
space the injector tower up using another stock plastic spacer (2 stacked spacers)
removing the lip around the top of the throttle body and polishing the venturi
better injectors
slightly cooler thermostat
slightly hotter plugs
true CAI
(doing all of the above all at once will give you a noticable change, doing it one at a time you probably wont ever notice the difference)

Further note on TBI engines. A lot of people claim the TBI heads are what holds them back but they are not terrible heads not great but not that bad either. The true downfall of TBI is the actual TBI injection itself. GM rates the TBI injection at 220hp and honestly thats about what it will support without mods.

People can tell you all sorts of different things but it really comes down to your truck its self. Sad fact is that quality control wasnt that great in the TBI era.
1 truck could roll off the line running at its absolute best ability and the next truck off the line could be as detuned as can be. What I am saying is just because 1 guy did something to his truck and saw no change doesnt mean that everone will see the same results.

Just for an example I will use my moms 94 1500 ecsb. A while back the fuel pump started to whine pretty loud so we wanted to change it so it wouldnt leave mom stranded in the cold. In the process we checked the fuel pressure and it was at 7 lbs. we put the new pump in and checked the pressure again and it ws still at 7 pounds. (you can make a stock pressure regulator adjustable if you know what your doing) Turns out the pressure regulator was screwed down to 7 pounds we modified it and adjusted it up to 14 pounds and its a TOTALLY differnt truck! It runs better than it has ever run. BUT I highly doubt that every 94, or every TBI truck will respod the same way.

THIS^

So broke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
gotta jump on this. i was talking to the dude from tbimods about the same truck (95 suburban) he told me that for the money i would spend on upgrades i should just swap in a vortec. i like how my truck feels after a few mods. i have all the basic except headers and y pipe (i have them just not installed yet). i have spend 350 so far. he said that the truck does not spend enough the above 2000 rpm to make sense. (i drive my truck hard i see 3000 3200 all day.) but looking at his the graphs from his truck builds i understand what he is saying. but i can't swap engines myself and paying someone would defeat the purpose. so i am still thinking about cams and heads. the other thing i see is that people say you could swap vortec heads but it reads unclear what is needed to do that. from what i got (help me if i'm wrong) to switch to vortec heads the intake has to change. you can go to the edelbrock 3704 for an easier fit or you can get any carbed intake and get an adaptor for the tbi. the other thing is where is the sticky for the vortec head swap? my pick and pull is like 42 buck each. add cam and intake i m in maybe another 400 or 500 bucks. i can live with that.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
i should just swap in a vortec.

the other thing i see is that people say you could swap vortec heads but it reads unclear what is needed to do that.

from what i got (help me if i'm wrong) to switch to vortec heads the intake has to change.
you can go to the edelbrock 3704 for an easier fit or you can get any carbed intake and get an adaptor for the tbi. the other thing is where is the sticky for the vortec head swap? my pick and pull is like 42 buck each. add cam and intake i m in maybe another 400 or 500 bucks. i can live with that.

He was probably talking about swapping to Vortec heads. Using Vortec heads on a TBI motor makes it a Vortec motor. Yes, you will need a new Vortec style intake. You can use the GMPP Vortec TBI intake or(for more power and cheaper) use a good single plane Vortec style carb intake with the TBI adapter. I wouldn't waste my money on the Holley TBI replacement, no improvement over stock. You can always go all the way and use MPFI. I don't think there is a TPI lower for Vortec heads, but that would make an excellent set-up. You could use a set of 882s and do the same thing.

So broke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
no he was talking about an engine swap. he said my engine and get a vortec. which intake part number for the single plane please. any way to find all i would need to do this swap?