More horsepower and torque?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The big beast!

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a 95 k1500 suburban with a TBI 350 I'm looking for ways to get more horsepower and torque?!?!
Anyone get any tips, I'm thinking a cold air intake, new high flow cats and some flowmaster super 10, and long tube headers. Does anyone know what else would work?

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pulleys? I have some new ones for sale since I have a vortec and they are for a tbi.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
depending where you want the power you could consider a regear or high stall TC. e-fans will do this and help mileage.

beast94

Reaction score
Pulleys? I have some new ones for sale since I have a vortec and they are for a tbi.

Under drive pullies do help make some extra ponies by slowing down the rotation of the accessories i.e. A/C compressor, alternator, etc. But the down side is that the slower rotation of the alternator ultimately kills it. I have used under drive pullies before, along with several of my buddies and we all have had the same problem and we all put our stock pullies back on with no problems since. If you do put them on you can expect your alternator to last maybe 2000 miles.

The only sure way to add HP and torque is to add displacement, put a larger cam in and better flowing heads. You can put just a cam in though and get some pretty noticeable gains. You can put a different manifold on along with larger throttle body, but these will have minimal gains with out adding the other mods to the engine. Also all of these mods will require a custom tune. You can do that by having a PROM custom burned for you or adding an aftermarket ECM like one from Dynamic EFI. I am using the EBL Flash from Dynamic EFI and I love it. It is easy to tune with a laptop and it has self learning capabilities to aid in tuning the base fuel map. It is also easy to install. Some people are intimidated by the re-pinning of the ECM's (if you have a 4L60E trans, you must retain your stock computer to operate your trans), but this is way easier than it seems if you have even basic electrical wiring skills.

beast94

Reaction score
Under drive pullies do help make some extra ponies by slowing down the rotation of the accessories i.e. A/C compressor, alternator, etc. But the down side is that the slower rotation of the alternator ultimately kills it. I have used under drive pullies before, along with several of my buddies and we all have had the same problem and we all put our stock pullies back on with no problems since. If you do put them on you can expect your alternator to last maybe 2000 miles.

The only sure way to add HP and torque is to add displacement, put a larger cam in and better flowing heads. You can put just a cam in though and get some pretty noticeable gains. You can put a different manifold on along with larger throttle body, but these will have minimal gains with out adding the other mods to the engine. Also all of these mods will require a custom tune. You can do that by having a PROM custom burned for you or adding an aftermarket ECM like one from Dynamic EFI. I am using the EBL Flash from Dynamic EFI and I love it. It is easy to tune with a laptop and it has self learning capabilities to aid in tuning the base fuel map. It is also easy to install. Some people are intimidated by the re-pinning of the ECM's (if you have a 4L60E trans, you must retain your stock computer to operate your trans), but this is way easier than it seems if you have even basic electrical wiring skills.

Oh not to mention the added plus of outstanding fuel mileage. I am currently getting 21 MPG average out of my '94 350 TBI.

OnionLoaf

Reaction score
I've been thinking about cam options for my TBI 350, or would it be wise to do the heads and cam all at once. Suggestions on both would be much appreciated.

beast94

Reaction score
You dont have to do both at the same time. If you are wanting to keep your stock computer with out tuning then the following cam would be one that works (if you go to even to a "mild" cam, it will mess with the computer)... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-06100/

For heads these are a great choice, they are a brand new casting and have been upgraded over stock Vortec heads- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-151124/ (you will need to change out your springs to ones that are recommended by the cam you order. You will also need a Vortec specific intake mainifold. You can use a Carburated manifold with the use of a TBI to carb adapter plate.)

If you go the way that requires tuning, you can run pretty much any cam you want that your heads will allow you to. The following cams would be good choices and should bump up your HP and torque to around and possibly more than 350HP and 350 Ft lbs...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-12-256-4/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60101/ (this one is a great cam, and it will make more power than similar cams. but be aware that you will have to run stronger springs than you would other wise with other cams. The opening ramps on these cams are alot faster.)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-12-236-3/

Things to remember about selecting a cam... 1- compare cams based on their .050 lduration measurements and not by their advertised duration figures.
2- find the hydralic intensity of the cam by subracting the .050 duration from its advertised. A lower # means the valves will open faster and the cam will make more power than similar cams.

3- Short duration w/ high lift will produce more torque. Long duration w/ low lift will produce more top end Horse power.

beast94

Reaction score
21 mpg out of a 350 tbi eh..? :hmm:

I am running Vortec heads/ manifold, Dynamic EFI's EBL Flash ECM with wide band O2 sensor, CFM-Tech 620 CFM TBI unit, stock injectors, 1 5/8 inch shorty headers, No cat, Lunati Voodoo cam with 219/227 duration at .050 and .468/.489 inches of lift, and for my fuel supply I am running 35 psi and a divorced vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator and a high pressure pump.

Last edited: