Mad Customs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That pic was right before I put the picker on it to get it out of the truck.

We got the heads on today. Not much to say other than that. It's good to be making progress though.

Attachments

• mc7.jpg
    mc7.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 36
  • mc10.jpg
    mc10.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 36

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Little bit of progress today.

I found a local guy to rebuild a donor trans from an '05 truck. Corvette servo, shift kit, and extra clutches. I think it's a pretty standard "performance" 4l60 build. He let us watch which I think was nice and a little bit educational. I told the boy if he breaks it, he's fixing it. LOL. Got a 300 over stock stall rebuilt converter too.

You must be registered for see images attach

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Little bit of progress today.

I found a local guy to rebuild a donor trans from an '05 truck. Corvette servo, shift kit, and extra clutches. I think it's a pretty standard "performance" 4l60 build. He let us watch which I think was nice and a little bit educational. I told the boy if he breaks it, he's fixing it. LOL. Got a 300 over stock stall rebuilt converter too.

That’s gonna be a lot of truck for a new driver but........ i like that your raising your boy to be into something real and not imports.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s gonna be a lot of truck for a new driver but........ i like that your raising your boy to be into something real and not imports.

I know, and it does worry me a bit. I'm hoping I can do something in the tune to keep it low power for daily driving. Maybe a low rev-limiter or something.

I've already told him anytime he wants to go fast we'll go to the track/strip. Let's keep it legal and safe.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've already told him anytime he wants to go fast we'll go to the track/strip. Let's keep it legal and safe.
Yeah, but his friends won't be at the track, and they'll want to see it when it's convenient for them - on the streets. Have a cute girl standing nearby and everything you've said to him goes out the window.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but his friends won't be at the track, and they'll want to see it when it's convenient for them - on the streets. Have a cute girl standing nearby and everything you've said to him goes out the window.
B00bies trump brains until 30!!!! We all know that! Haha

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know.

I am not just going to toss him the keys on his birthday. I have a 2001 Lexus LX470 which will be a great vehicle for him to get his feet wet. It's slow, heavy, AWD, etc. (It does have a huge cargo area, which is a different concern though.)

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
B00bies trump brains until 30!!!! We all know that! Haha
Only till 30? Some dudes are horn dogs forever ( I think this is where the phrase"dirty old man" comes from LOL).
Many years ago, I worked in a big grocery store in a nice part of west Houston. They had an in store salad bar and cafe. The shopping center the store was in, had a ******* on the other side of it. The young ladies who worked there would come to our store to eat lunch... until the managers ogled them worse than at their jobs! And all these guys were married,kids, middle aged,etc....

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like we're getting in that 20% of the project that takes 80% of the time. Mostly a bunch of little things accomplished this weekend and chasing down nuts and bolts that this motor didn't come with.

I do feel proud of this one motor mount bolt. It goes in a hole that's higher up than the V6 mount used and the swivel attachment would just not work for getting the nut on. After a long time of fussing with it yesterday I resigned myself to the fact that we were going to have to remove the lower control arm and just walked away for the afternoon out of frustration. I woke up this morning with an idea: flip it around the other way with the bolt coming up from the bottom. I used some rebar tie wire to make a semi-flexible bolt holder tool and was able to get it in there in 5 minutes. Put the nut on the top, done.

So you can do the conversion without removing the lower control arms, but if you need to replace any of those parts anyway you might as well do it. We had already replaced all that and I didn't want to do it again.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Saturday we were working on getting my car ready for a track weekend at Circuit of the Americas next weekend, and he kept sneaking off to work on his truck. Makes me happy.

In addition the 20/80 rule, we're also in the death by a thousand cuts phase ... also known as the nickle and dimed to death phase. I love ICT billet but you definitely pay for the convenience.

We finished getting the engine and trans ready to drop in though. Have to do a couple more things on the truck first that will be a lot easier with the nothing in the way. Probably won't happen until next month though because of my track weekend.