Lowering without fabrication?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red91

Hi, I'm Red
Reaction score
^Mmmmmhmmm I am tempted to just get a full notch now since I will eventually bag it.

Red91

Hi, I'm Red
Reaction score
Lol. Thats awesome! I figure that way I can get a good notch cover in order start laying out tanks and so on, so when it comes time to lay it out I at least have some work done.

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK... so all of you guys have given me the information I need to drop my truck, and stroker52 took a considerable amount of time tracking down a 5/7 kit that will work on my 8 lug truck. The only question I have left to be answered is if I'll be able to turn the front wheels once this kit is installed? I want to run the factory ( 225/75R16 ) rims and tires for a while to buy me some time on forking out the cash for a good set of aftermarket wheels.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
take a tape and in the front right in the center of the wheel well go down 5 inches and see we the tire sets in the wheel well.. if it sets right at the tire or a 1 inch above it you should be good..

and thank you bud anything to help a fellow gmt400 out... you know where the PM button is you can use it anytime bud..

Red91

Hi, I'm Red
Reaction score
I am running a 225/70 15 with no issues I didn't have to roll the fender lips, just bolt on and go. I know your 225/70 16s are closer to a 30" tire so you might have to roll the fender but honestly I see no issues with the stockers.

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As it sits right now, there is exactly 5" from the bottom of the wheel opening to the top of the tire. At the moment it has 235/85/16s on the front and they are almost 32" tall. The stock size tires are almost 2.5" shorter than the ones that's on it now, so I think it'll work out.

As a side note, I found a really cool tire size calculator with a graphic that will show you the difference between tire sizes...

Tire Size Calculator

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
With tires that tall, there is a couple of bolt ends inside the wheel well that stick down from the stuff mounted in the engine compartment that you will probebly have to take a grinder to, so that they don't carve up your tread.