Lowered 90 OBS shake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbleudw

Reaction score
I have lowered my 90 OBS 2/4 using shaker/hanger and front coil springs. It is giving me a lot of shake especially when I get up to about 60 mph. Looking underneath it appears the driveline is not working properly at the transmission as there is only about 1/4 inch of wear on the driveline, meaning it is not going in and out of the transmission properly.

Has anyone had to shorten their driveline with this mild of a drop?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
2/4 drops cause probs with the pinion angle.
Probably have to shim the diff.
That requires extending the leaf spring centering bolt's head. It has to reach through the shim/wedge & into the location hole on the spring pad.
GM lists 4 different center bolt lengths. 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive's use the shortest. Buy the next longer. Cheap from the dealership. $3.00 each?
Crank a nut to the head with some red loc-tite, then round the nut's shoulders off to match the bolt's head circumferance.

#2 is as good as it gets on these trucks. You actually want that bit of off-set so the needle bearings in the U-joint cups rotate, reducing any wear in one spot.

I have pix of the shims in my' 97, but just can't find them right now.

You must be registered for see images attach

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
A 2/4 drop doesn't justify shortening the driveshaft. Normally. Usually.
There's exceptions to every rule, but even still, can't see that being the prob.
Once you get to 7"+ of rear drop, or a bagged suspension, is where driveshaft length comes into play.