Lower Valance HELP! Wrong Fasteners - What are YOU using ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ARTEMIS1759

Reaction score
From working in a detail shop/body shop, from experience, the fastners you had are the biggest joke on the market (even though every freakin' car engineer thinks they are brilliant, as most new cars use them). We end up buyin' new ones every time cuz they stretch. The treestyle is good if you don't plan to ever remove them (unless you buy a tool to do so and gently pry, which is still a crap shoot). When I start replacing them on my Blazer most will be nuts and bolts or J clips and body bolts because it may take longer but if I have to disassemble it again I won't have to buy new hardware. Just my 2 cents.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
May i ask what grille you are running? best grillle ive seen in a long time

justin93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
From working in a detail shop/body shop, from experience, the fastners you had are the biggest joke on the market (even though every freakin' car enginee thinks they are brilliant, as most new cars use them). We end up buyin' new ones every time cuz they stretch. The treestyle is good if you don't plan to ever remove them (unless you buy a tool to do so and gently pry, which is still a crap shoot). When I start replacing them on my Blazer most will be nuts and bolts or J clips and body bolts because it may take longer but if I have to disassemble it again I won't have to buy new hardware. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah there a serious PITA, everytime you remove them you'll at least loose a few in the process. What type of hardware would you suggest? I know there's COUNTLESS options but should it be something like Bolt - Washer then another washer and lock nut ? If you guys could include what type of hardware you put into your guy's that would give me a better idea as i don't want to have my valance squeaking or sliding around.

Also i went down to o reillys last night after work and i picked up these but im not too confident they'll hold up..

You must be registered for see images attach

Tailpipe, Those look like beefier versions of the ones i found on my valance originally, did you ever replace them or are those the oem fasteners?

Appreciate all the pictures and responses, im still new to this forum and i should of joined 3 years ago! Appreciate all the suggestions and experience to guys, hopefully ill have my valance fastened up today and my ARB bumper installed back on after work before the sun goes down. Ill be sure to throw some final pictures when its all done.

justin93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
May i ask what grille you are running? best grillle ive seen in a long time

Of course, Here's a link : http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-93-Chevy...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c5eb2ec5

It stood out to me back when i first got my obs 93' the front grille was thrashed lights were taped in just mickey mouse crap.

Invested in the new grille and some lights as the old ones were trashed, got tired of all the chrome and plastidipped it and it still looks great w/ and without it.
It is a pretty penny just for a grille however i was in the market for one and had funds to invest into the truck.
w/ or w/o the dip it's an eye catcher though here's the plast dip pic, mind i had to take it on and off a few times so it wasn't the cleanest job.

No complaints about it whatsoever definitely don't see any in my area with that grille which was another + to me.

Last edited:

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
Of course, Here's a link : http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-93-Chevy...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c5eb2ec5

It stood out to me back when i first got my obs 93' the front grille was thrashed lights were taped in just mickey mouse crap.

Invested in the new grille and some lights as the old ones were trashed, got tired of all the chrome and plastidipped it and it still looks great w/ and without it.
It is a pretty penny just for a grille however i was in the market for one and had funds to invest into the truck.
w/ or w/o the dip it's an eye catcher though here's the plast dip pic, mind i had to take it on and off a few times so it wasn't the cleanest job.

No complaints about it whatsoever definitely don't see any in my area with that grille which was another + to me.

thanks man. it looks alot like those fancy bolt-billet style grilles alot of people purchase for their newer trucks. It looks so good on your truck. It will definitly be my next purchase. thanks again and i look forward to more updates!

ARTEMIS1759

Reaction score
K bud. Those do look like mickey mouse crap. They are on the right track but don't look like they wiil hold. I have not got hardware for mine yet (nuts and bolts) but if you go with the style you bought go to a local auto body supply store and get the tree style similar to that but with bigger ribs. These will hold and are the original OEM style found on a lot of vehicle. Only draw back is they only usually work once. You will find them in the door panels of our trucks. Generally if they are not screwed with once installed they won't come back out. Take your valance in and get ones a little bigger then the holes you are trying to put them in. These are what you are looking for and any autobody store will know what they are.
You will notice there are more area to the ribs which hold better. As stated earlier if you use a tool like this and gently pry it out you can usually save the fastener most of the time.
:smokin:

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just use lock nuts,bolts,and washers and you dont ever have to worry about it again......

justin93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just use lock nuts,bolts,and washers and you dont ever have to worry about it again......

I ended up going down to the local home depot and just made a hardware kit.
Probably didn't need stainless steel but it'll be easier in the long run to remove.
Bolt - Washer / Washer - Nut for all 6 installation holes.

I will take a picture when i can, i just smoked out my turning corner lenses with VHT night shades, i'd love to get your guy's opinions.
They were originally pulled off a donor OBS at a local pick n pull for 2$ so i thought why not try it out.
VHT night shades was $10+ :Stupid Me:

Ill take a pic of the front when i get home from work.